Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4701075 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Life is good
« Reply #12705 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:53 am »
Those black acorns are from chinkapin oaks, we have them on the land I hunt, deer love them but they never have much of an acorn crop like the white and red oaks.

https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/quercus/muehlenbergii/

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12706 on: September 21, 2015, 04:21:11 am »
I think that is what we call a saw tooth oak Eric, lots of different oaks that is for sure, I just kind of class them in the White oak family or the red oak family and as a rule when we have plenty the deer like the White Oaks better. ;) :) We had a good weekend, got most everything ready for the final leg of the 23rd  Deer Classic this coming Saturday and stuff winterized around the Club and Cabin. Also got the gutter/insulation/under penning and new window in the Cabin. After the light mass crop this year I decided to put out a few food plots which I don't regularly do . I put out 3 Turnips and 1 in radishes plot, they are about 1/8 acre spots and a little late for my liking but if we can get a little rain soon I think they will be fine. Here are a few pictures of the weekend. :) Also got 2 bows and arrows set up for the up coming season. Adam showed back up to work on his Hickory, it is looking good but he don't want to touch it unless he is there.He got the nocks cut in and out to brace before he had to leave. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:10:09 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12707 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:10 am »
 Jon Got the new window in that filled the hole where the on AC/heater unit was. Also some tight work for me putting in new insulation and repairing some that had fell under the cabin.
I am very claustrophobic so that was a tough job for me. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12708 on: September 21, 2015, 04:27:03 am »
They got a kick out of watching me. ??? Then some porch light repair and rest deciding what needed to be done next. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12709 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:39 am »
Window and gutter finished and started on my food plots. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12710 on: September 21, 2015, 04:31:18 am »
Last food plot finished , Got a gift from the folks from Spain that always make the IBO world. Very nice of them. :) Hope yall had a good one also. Morning Del, I see you are out Early. ;) :)
 or maybe it's late where you are. ;) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:12:22 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #12711 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:02 am »
Thanks Pappy. I always enjoy the pics. Sure wish I could work like that.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12712 on: September 21, 2015, 10:07:27 am »
Pappy, are the radishes the Japanese dakon kind?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12713 on: September 21, 2015, 10:54:51 am »
Not sure Eddie but supposed to be good in the early to mid winter and also very good for the ground ,also he say they will grow on a rock or poor soil which is good for my place for sure. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12714 on: September 21, 2015, 01:07:50 pm »
We planted the Japanese ones at Chris' one year. The deer ate the tops and I ate the radishes. They are white and get about 6-8" long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12715 on: September 25, 2015, 04:26:25 am »
Friday and loving it, in about 24 hours I will be in the woods and can hardly wait, seems after 35 years or so of going on opening day you would get over that ,but not me. :) We also have the hunting leg of the 23rd White tail Classic so should get to see and check in lots of deer and probably a few Turkey. ;) Of course a lot of stories and cooking goes along with that. They are calling for some rain[we need it] but other than that the weather is supposed to be cooler so should be a good weekend. To top it off I am off Monday so that is even more reason to be excited. ;) :) Got a few things to get together this evening but most of it will be getting mentally ready around the fire / sharping broad heads and a little shooting. I may also slip into a place or 2 checking sign to be sure where I want to be in the morning. ;)The acorn crop is slim but I have found a few spots that they are wearing what few we have out. :) Hope yall have a good one ,see ya Tuesday. ;) :) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #12716 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:00 am »
Good luck Pappy and shoot straight.  Above all else, enjoy yourself and the great outdoors.  I can't hunt until the 17th of October since I'm still recuperating from surgery.

David

Offline GlennM

« Reply #12717 on: September 25, 2015, 07:40:06 am »
Good luck and be safe.  We are headed to the mountains for a little R and R before hunting season.  Davey is camping at New Hampshire for the NASCAR race.  Look for him on TV Sunday.

My young friend Jake, who came down a few years ago, shot (archery) his first elk in Arizona this week.  He lives there now and works as a bee exterminator.

Glenn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12718 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »
Good luck in the morning Pappy. Aim small, miss small!!!   ;)
 Wishing you a speed recovery, Dave.
 I'm heading to GA in the morning(if we don't get rained out) for my first hunt of the season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otis

« Reply #12719 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »
Thanks PatB.  Good luck to you too in the morning.  Just wear your rain gear. :)  I don't like hunting in the rain either.  I'll do it when I go to one day draw hunts and such.  But at home, I'm a
fair weathered hunter.  Safe travels and enjoy.

David