Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4707052 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #13095 on: January 19, 2016, 04:45:00 am »
Some of Greg's blades, he loves the neck knife I wear so he made a copy of the blade. My next ax project/felling ax in the works. Jon's new cutting board, he is getting pretty good at making them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13096 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:50 am »
Fitting my ax head. Just hanging out and some wood splitting, Scott loves doing that. ??? :o
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13097 on: January 19, 2016, 04:49:21 am »
Scott checking out his new bow. Folks started to gather to set out the Practice range and tree fell on the target shed, always something extra to do around there. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13098 on: January 19, 2016, 04:52:15 am »
New John Deer coming in handy around there, more logs hauled up to be split. Some friends show up to work on a Hickory and Osage bow. They drive over an hour to scrape on there new love. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13099 on: January 19, 2016, 04:55:36 am »
Warming by the fire. Jon working on some Turkey feathers/ax head fitted and me cutting out an Osage stave for Dwyane. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13100 on: January 19, 2016, 05:01:00 am »
Stave ready to get to floor tiller. Dan taking up Chuck's slack keeping the fire going, Chuck didn't show up this weekend, hope all is well with him. ;) :) My buddy Frank trapped another Coyote on my place, nice big female. That is 3 he has trapped and 4  that have been shot for the year.  :-\:) Hope that thins them down a little. They are thick as thieves around there. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13101 on: January 19, 2016, 05:10:43 am »
Got my ax handle all done except for the finish, I plan on finishing about 4 or 5 that are ready when the weather gets better. :-\ Got time yesterday to work on the Osage I am building for a good friend, got it ready to brace. :) It was cold but very a relaxing weekend , kind of lonely down there yesterday but I enjoy that also from time to time, WSM 650 am radio/good fire and Sally. ;) :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13102 on: January 19, 2016, 08:33:38 am »
Good to see you, Mark.  (In pictures anyways...)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13103 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »
Cool, DEE Wayne playing with Yellow wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13104 on: January 19, 2016, 05:46:49 pm »
The great horned owl at the Black Hills Raptor Center is a fully wild bird.  She got into some sort of trouble in the wild and self-amputated her right wing at the wrist joint.  Consequently, she cannot fly, cannot hunt effectively, and is with us for the rest of her natural life.  That doesn't mean she is willing to submit easily.  This is their breeding season and in the last few winters, a male great horned owl has been coming around. 

We figured she was climbing the fencing in her housing looking for a way sneak off with him when she got herself tangled.  Maggie, the other co-founder of this organization, found her this morning hanging by a leg and the good wing.  She got the bird loose, but it needed two of us to do an exam to see if she had sustained any injuries.  One to hold the bird's dangerous bits, while the other seeks to avoid being bitten all the while poking and prodding.  Maggie elected to hold and I bit my tongue, this NEVER has ended well in the past and I had no hope of it ending well this time.  But, I let her.

In a twinkling, Icarus, the great horned owl had latched her beak onto the skin of my right hand and Maggie lost a grip on one foot.  That foot then immediately found the meat of the underside of that very same hand and buried the talons to the bone. 

The pinprick on the meaty edge of my hand is bad enough, but the other one is directly above the valley in the palm where the main tendons lie as well as the very critical nerves that operate EVERYTHING!  Lucky for me, the talon hooked and curved away from all the critical stuff and just pierced meat. 

Now, when an owl grabs something in their feet they lay on a good hard grip.  If it does not immediately kill the prey, the muscles and ligaments are able to "ratchet" down an order of magnitude at a time until such time as the prey dies and the muscles go limp.  So, if you take a hit, go limp as a noodle.  Got it? Your other choice is to lay the affected body part on the ground and allow the bird to (hopefully) choose to let go and take off.  You are NOT going to be able to pull the toes up as they have a total grip strength of 240 lbs (30 lbs of grip per talon X 8 talons). 

We tried again with ME holding the bird in restraint and Maggie doing the exam.  Icarus is just fine.  Madder than a wet cat, but fine anyway.  Me?  Well, the gal at the Urgent Care said she remembered me from a program I did years ago and LOOOOOOVED the great horned owl! I got a tetanus shot and it hurts like hell.  My hand is fine.  However, I find I am craving field mice.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #13105 on: January 19, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »
I caught a GHO in my hawk trap when I was into falconry. The top of the trap was 2" mesh and she had stuffed both wings up to the shoulder through the net. It took us about an hour to untangle her. Sharpest talons I have ever seen. We let her go when we got her out. I'll never forget the sound when she flew away. Nothing. A little sharpshin got his talons in my knuckle and I damn near passed out. Tiny talons compared to the GH. I'll bet that smarted.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13106 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:58 am »
Youch ! Glad to hear it wasn't any worse JW. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13107 on: January 20, 2016, 04:43:36 am »
Good to hear you are fine JW, sure wouldn't want one of them a hold of me. Calling for snow here today, kind of looking forward to it and kind of not. :-\ we don't get much here and I love it when it comes on the weekend but during the work week it usually sucks. We will see what today holds. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13108 on: January 20, 2016, 02:30:04 pm »
I almost completely forgot about the hand, no heat, no swelling, no discomfort. 

Now the shoulder that got the tetanus shot?  THROBBING!   :-[
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13109 on: January 21, 2016, 04:29:07 am »
Glad you recovered JW. Ya every time I go to the Doc and they ask when I had my last one I say awwww just a few months ago. ;) Dang computers now days don't let me get away with that like I use to. ;) ;D ;D I got the last deer of the year processed/wrapped and put away yesterday, it was the doe [gimpy] that Case killed, man she will make for some fine winter meals. :)I can't believe hunting season [deer] is over, but ha it will be here again before you know it. :) Calling for more snow and ice tonight 4 to 6 inches] which is a bunch for us, so looks like this weekend their will be lots of shop time and maybe get out and try and kick up some rabbits if my back continues to heal so I can walk them hills and hollows. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good