Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4694911 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Re: Life is good
« Reply #13635 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:32 am »
I'm glad this thread is here every Monday because pictures do a better job than words explaining how much fun it is up there at Twin Oaks. Thank you for having me back again Pappy.

Every Saturday when I leave I call my dad and tell him what I've been working on and he's always floored at what I'm making. Then Monday morning there's a line of jealous people who want to see the pictures from the weekend. It's pretty great.

It was definitely fun setting up the challenge course, especially what will be the infamous "last target" :D

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13636 on: June 28, 2016, 04:06:03 am »
Thanks for posting Pappy - always look forward to My Twin Oaks fix on Mondays. I've been sick and ended up in the ER a couple of times the last two weeks - these posts are very therapeutic . Really enjoying the Pics of that Pup ! Take care - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13637 on: June 28, 2016, 04:08:22 am »
Enjoyed have you over John. ;) Well it was rainy and damp yesterday so I suspended my bow work and started another Powder horn, this one is small, I figure a pistol power horn. ;) I want to make one like Spotted Dog but still thinking on it before I cut up a perfectly good horn. :-\ Hope all is going well now for you Bob. ;) :)
  Pappy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:11:35 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13638 on: June 28, 2016, 04:16:06 am »
I have a small "Pocket Horn" in the works. These were short flattened horns to fit inside the Possibles Bag or tucked inside the Shirt - eliminating the need for a large Horn on a Hunt. Holds just enough powder for a days Hunt. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #13639 on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Pappy I got the bow strung up after we heat treated it and man it did really take on some weight. I almost hate that I stained it because I'm going to have to probably shave off 5-10 lbs the way it's bending now : )

That's alright though, always got room for improvement.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13640 on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:17 am »
I tried to tell ya John. ;) ;D I never finish until I am finished. ;) Got my little pistol powder horn finished up last evening, needs some sealer but looks pretty cool. I also put a horn in water to soak and then plan on boiling it today and try my hand at a flat horn, we will see how that goes. :-\ Also found the prefect [I think]  of horn to try and make one like the one Spotted Dog made. Man I need to get back on some bows and shoot shafts but really love working with the horns. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13641 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:38 am »
Had a great day in the shop yesterday evening, just Sally/Sister and me. ;) I got my little pistol horn sealed , it looks very cool and my flat horn boiled and flattened, also got the end plug fitted in it made out of Osage. I started another one also like the one Spotted Dog posted. It will be a little shorter about 4 1/2 inches long but I think unless I change my mind it will be about the same design. In between the horn work I got the Osage bow I put on my new form tweaked and ready to brace again today I hope. :-\ Good day for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13642 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:43 am »
Friday and a long weekend to boot, ;) ;D  we got lots to do around the club Saturday so shop time my be limited but I am sure I will fit in a little time for some of my projects. :-\ My gold is to finish up my flat power horn and get my Osage shooting, we will see how that goes. Hope yall have a great 4th and celebrate this great country a lot of us live in.  ;) :) Life is Good.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13643 on: July 01, 2016, 06:42:57 am »
Pappy, you and the guys have a great 4th and looking forward to seeing the horn when it's finished. I'm heading for SC and a little bow fishing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #13644 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:31 am »
Darn it, it's raining today.  Well maybe it will stop soon.  Should be at Twin Oaks in a few hours.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13645 on: July 05, 2016, 04:29:29 am »
Hope you got a bunch of fish Eddie. ;) Great weekend, kind of hot and kind of stormy but still had a good time and got some stuff done for the club and in the shop. Not much bow work but lots of horn work, horn work is the kind of thing you can start and stop anytime so good for me when I have a lot going on for TwinOaks. Bow work I really like to stay on cue.  ;) Here are a few pictures of the weekend. ;) :) my girls having fun and another powder horn started , this one is a small Buff horn, probably came from Joe's first trip to TwinOaks. :-\.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13646 on: July 05, 2016, 04:31:01 am »
It is amazing how they clean up after some scrapping and sanding. :) This one ready to seal. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13647 on: July 05, 2016, 04:32:52 am »
All sealed up, the starting of my flat horn. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13648 on: July 05, 2016, 04:35:21 am »
Some of Dan's new arrows, he just keeps getting better and better. Michael splining out some shafts for his new Walnut self bow. Sweet Pee came by for a visit. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13649 on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:22 am »
She still loves her quiver Joe. Some shooting and some bow tip tweaking and the start of another powder horn somewhat like Spotted Dog made. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good