Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4670006 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #14205 on: December 09, 2016, 07:50:31 am »
Ya I seen where yall were getting hit pretty good up that way bj, and yes in the next week or so they will get moving again around here, problem around here this time of year is you either see a bunch or nothing, they kind of all get together so it's hard to tell where they will be from day to day, but on them days you get it right it can be very exciting. ;D  High here today is about 32 and low toning about 15 so it will be cool in the morning, supposed to warm a bit after that to somewhere closer to normal for us. ;) :) 30's and 50's.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14206 on: December 09, 2016, 08:08:19 am »
Pappy, you should put the replacement hide in the rack and tell Andrew you patched the holes he had put in it.  Let him try to figure out how you did it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HH~

« Reply #14207 on: December 09, 2016, 10:23:33 am »
This is some good hunting weather! This morning in the river cane bottom it was about 20 degrees. Saw bobcat, red fox and 13 deer. Where the coyotes were was curious but makes sense they were not in this drainage with the other critters in there. Deer have really piled in the thick scrub and browsing on blackberry, honeysuckle and small sapling buds. Go back and still hunt off ground about 1400hrs today.
 Work on bow in garage til then.

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14208 on: December 12, 2016, 04:40:31 am »
Bow looking good Shawn. ;) Had a great weekend, got to see Christina get her Masters in Education Friday evening, maybe she can teach me something now. ;) :) Good times with the family.  ;) Then I get to the cabin late and Jon and Little John had a good fire going so we had a good time around that.
Spent Saturday morning Hunting, again very close but no cigar and Saturday evening skinning and processing deer, Jimmy's freezer is full so he gave the last 2 he killed to me, we plan on Brats out of these. ;) ;) Only project I got time to do anything with was the powder horn, got the ends fitted and ready to do a little pine pitch glue sealing and it will be complete. BAD news , the camera broke down on me, so only a couple of pictures, but take my word for it, we had a great time. Hope yall did also.  ;) :)
Life is Good.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #14209 on: December 12, 2016, 08:01:26 am »
The off center brass and that horn looks nice. We hunted that cool weather hard. Saw oodles of deer one evening and a good buck with a big front shoulder limb. He was still on rut. So, we saw about 25 yearlings and doe but passed looking for Limpster. Saw red fox, bobcat. mink early on both mornings but no Yotes in my bottom. Think i thinned them purdy good, never can enough though.
Did get a Warf Hunt riser finished and ready for limbs. I should have it shooting this week sometime.

shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14210 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:58 am »
Sounds like you are in the middle of some good hunting Shawn, not quite as plentiful around my place right now. :) I made some good head way on my powder horn yesterday evening while I let my girls out for a run. I got the plugs all fitted and pine pitched in and all the brass pins installed and sanded down, also the brass hooks for the lanyard to tie to. Now all it needs is some finish on it and a lanyard braded up and it should be ready.  ;) Don't know why, but I really love working with horn. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14211 on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
Is Sister staying home now?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14212 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »
I was wondering the same thing DC. Pappy glad you like working with the horn. I like looking at it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14213 on: December 14, 2016, 04:40:01 am »
Let's just say since her running buddy Charlie [a neighbor Beagle ] disappeared  :-\ she has been much better, her and Sally still take off from time to time but only gone 30 minutes or so and don't seem to be leaving my place , so I can live with that. ;) Ya BJ , not sure what the draw is on the horns is but I really enjoy fooling with them. I am getting low and hope Shane from FL. will resupply me soon. He didn't have any when he came up in November but said he was looking and hope to have more soon. :)
Had a great day in the stand yesterday evening. The bucks are chasing again as the always do in mid to late December and lots of doe have finely started moving again. Seen 7 doe and 2 bucks, can't complain about that. To far  for a shoot but just seeing some movement again makes it well worth the time spent.  ;) Beautiful sun set to boot. ;)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14214 on: December 14, 2016, 05:37:15 am »
Great pic ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14215 on: December 14, 2016, 05:38:09 am »
great pic there Pappy... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14216 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:51 am »
Good luck Pappy still great hunting when your seeing them and  in the beautiful outdoors.
I was wondering when you were gonna run out of horn that was a darn good supply sure hope you can get some more.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14217 on: December 15, 2016, 05:24:42 am »
Glad you enjoyed the sun set, wasn't as pretty a Sunset yesterday but did see 10 doe and the same buck still stirring them up, problem is they are all coming out into a 30 acre cut bean field eating what has come up since the beans were cut , they come in all different directions so it makes it tough to figure where they are going to come from, happened every year, getting a good 10 /12 yard bow shot is tough and takes lots of days in the stand. It would be like going grocery shopping with a rifle.  ;) but ha that's why they call it Bow hunting and as I said still fun to watch. It is kind of like when the full rut is going on , the anticipation of what could happen at any time and the surprise when it does. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14218 on: December 15, 2016, 06:06:07 am »
It's all about the hunt Pappy. Especially when you already got meat in the freezer. Good Luck hope you get that up close and personal meeting with that buck. It's pretty brutal  cold here now and windy to. I'm still hoping for a good hunt or 2 but if I climbed up a tree now they just might find me frozen there. Like to get that wind to die down and deer to calm down some more yet.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #14219 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:23 am »
Glad your seeing them. Big bucks are still picking off estrus does. Smaller ones are getting together and the doe have grabbed their yearling up again and being bred. That makes for big groups of deer moving or feeding together. Coiple morning back in that cold 19-20 degrees I watched four of them splash around in river for 30 min before swimming it.
Been seeing fox, bobcat and Yotes on the morning sits almost everyday in tcooler temps. Got this new bow shooting after putting the same tune as my old one thats simliar. Shoots well.

Life is Good in the Cold!