Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4706089 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Life is good
« Reply #5370 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:20 am »
Every time I look at these pics on Monday morning I think "Man! I missed a hellova weekend"  Kinda depresses me for a little while because I wasn't there. But....It also gives me something to look forward to! ;D
 Way to go Woody!
 If all goes well...I'll see ya'll FRIDAY!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline BearG

« Reply #5371 on: October 18, 2010, 09:59:13 am »
Way to go Woody!!!   Man sure looks like yall had a blast.  just 3 more long weeks to go.  Oh well gives me something to look forward too.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5372 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:59 am »
Let me begin by saying that these are considerably better looking pictures than usual   ;D ;D
There is something about the pretty ladies that makes even the camo clad hunting man look...well...gentlemanly.

Secondly, I smiled at the leaf fire.  I recall a few seasons back being party to a fine leaf burning. Otis was there as I recall.  I was sweeping leaves off the top of the shed and Pappy was going to town with that leaf blower.  When forced air and leaves met fire it was like a bomb going off and I still don't know how the flames of it all didn't burn the whole damn place down.  Anyway, the controlled burn brought a smile to my face.

Finally, congrats to Woodrow.  Nice Tennessee buck my friend.  I was sitting in the stand Saturday morning when two does came off the ridge.  I prepared to take a crack at the lead doe but she stopped suddenly and began staring at the thicket by the creek.  She didn't like whatever she sensed there.  In a few minutes she began to creep closer and I waited on pins and needles for the shot.  Then, suddenly, I caught movement by the creek.  It was a very nice 8 pointer headed straight for me.  The doe saw him and showed concern.  He saw her and immediatly began grunting and headed towards her.  She broke into a full run right under my tree and he took off after her.  I guess those bucks aren't so different from us men afterall.  Another day with nothing but memories to show - precious memories.

Offline Bear

« Reply #5373 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
Wow, good times! Way to go Woody. Hate I missed it. Finally got some dependable weekend help hired. Plan on being there this weekend, but things are always iffy these days. ::)
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #5374 on: October 18, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »
I had a great time Saturday working on my new knife with friends.  My first ever knife that they helped me pin.  What an adventure!  I swear I learn something new each week at Twin Oaks.  :)

The knife is finally finished and it's the one I think I'll get Greg to make a sheath for in a trade we worked out a few weeks past.

Finally got the Bamboo backed Ipe redone.  Put some Sanke Skins on her, and retillered it to take a lot of weight off.  I worked on the tips and with the wise advice of Pappy they turned out pretty nice.  It's the best shotting bow I've ever worked on.  It's my new favorite.  :)

Here's some pitcures, hope they come out well enough to see. 

Life's been good to me here in Tennessee.

Finished Knife

Snake Skin backed

Full Draw

Grip

Unstrung

Front view

Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5375 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:17 pm »
John,you did a great job on your bow, and the knife looks great too. Lately I haven't been pinning knife handles, I've been doing hidden tangs, but there is something nice looking about brass or stainless pins.
I have to say that everytime I log onto the site and come here to "life is good" I'm drooling over the pictures of the food, the bows, the bucks, the knifes, need I go on. I really wish I could come and say life is good for more than one week a year. But what a place to take my vacation, can't think of a better place or group of people.
I sure hope all is well with you Pappy, I ask John Price every chance I can about everyone there, same for King Ron. I think about you guys often, everytime I look at my archery gear.
Hope the hunting season is enjoyable for ya all.
Take care
VB

Offline Otis

« Reply #5376 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:37 pm »
Way to go Woody!!!  I just hope you and Beau leave a deer or two for Pappy. Yes RangerB that leaf fire weekend was the first time we met. Hard to forget an event like that or a fine Southern Gent like yourself. BearG you're right, only about three long weeks to wait. Sawfiler, like I said before about your proximity to Twin Oaks to mine, I'd be in trouble with the little lady all the time. I would be there more than I get to now. Pappy, I'll be giving you a call about what to bring and so forth. Katelyn is having surgery the 4th of Nov. to have a medicinal pump put in. She should be home by the weekend. I'll have to see how she's doing before I head that way.  Good luck to all of you in the woods. Can't wait to get down there where Life Is Good.
                                                                            David

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5377 on: October 19, 2010, 06:32:53 am »
Jon,knife turned out great,looks like a good skinner.You need to post the pictures of the new bow on the bow thread,it will get more looks there and make a great candadate for lam.BOM. Mark [vb]
it's great hearing from you ,always enjoy out time together at the Classic,hope you can make it back
with you sweet wife this year. Dave I think there are a few deer still left, ;) :) I am just struggling this year, Deer ant the problem it is just me. :) See yall in a few weeks. Miss Joanie says I need to get on the ball,the freezer is getting bare. :) She don't ask a lot of me but she dose love her fresh venison. :) so I better get at it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5378 on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:04 am »
John:  BOM and the knife is great! A/ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #5379 on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:12 pm »
Hello Y'all, haven't written in awhile, Congrats Woody on the deer," wheres the Honey Wild Turkey". Jon, nice bow, is that the one you had up at the Penn. shoot, maybe I can talk a trade out of ya. Nice knife too, you need to give me some pointers, got all the stuff to make some knifes just don't how or where to start. Pappy, Dave, BearG, guess I'm gonna miss this year too, daugther-in-law ready to drop child first or second week in Nov., and wife going to Disney, so got to watch other grandchild. Might be able to make a weekend, have to see. Also congrats. to Joe on the Moose. I got a deer (doe) two weeks ago, if I new how to post pictures, i would, its a trophy to me as I haven't connected in a while, hope its a tun in the right direction. I've seen alot of deer, just not in my shooting range. RangerB, always good to hear from you, finished your book a good while back and didn't get to tell how much I enjoyed the read. Well to every one have a great season. Good Luck.   Brother Dan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5380 on: October 19, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »
 Woody, Congratulations on a nice deer. And I liked that Honey Turkey myself. That stuff could cause problems. Brother Dan, if the wife's going to Disney you ought to tag along. I'll rescue you a$$ and we'll go hunting in the Green Swamp. I live 30 minutes from Rat Land.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline oschroe

« Reply #5381 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:17 pm »
All, Thanks for the Congrats on the deer.  All butchered up and in the deep freeze.  Brother Dan/Mullet, I don't touch that Wild turkey much, just once in while with friends. ::) 

Woody
Woody

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5382 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:06 am »
Sorry you can't make it Dan,but understand.Congrats on the deer,I got the picture but didn't know where it came from,Not good on a phone except to answer and say hello.  ;):) :) Got o go early vote today so it will be Thursday before I can get back in the woods,going to try and hunt pretty hard the next few weeks,Last of Oct. always seem to be the best time for me to see deer/bucks especially. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #5383 on: October 21, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »
Mullet, thanks for the invite, told my wife and she gave me that look, and said, " if you go with us you're staying with us." Women? She's going down with my son and his family. I don't want to go because we all went there last year, right at rut season. I don't need to see it again. Been there done that. Then again, Mullet, I'm not gator proof.   B.Dan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5384 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:49 pm »
Congrats Woody! Great looking knife Jon, I'll be glad to make a sheath for it.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...