Author Topic: what is the differance  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Blacktail

what is the differance
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »
o.k...i am snooping around looking into some day doing a warbow..i kind of feel sad for wanting to make a warbow because the heavy weight is what its about and i don't think i can pull that heavy of weight..my question is...IS there a difference between the Mary rose and a English war bow...right,now i just want to learn more about these bows before jumping in..thanks john

Offline adb

Re: what is the differance
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:15:57 am »
I don't think I understand your question. The warbows found aboard the Mary Rose where English warbows, used by English archers during Tudor times, in the middle of the 16th century.
If you're talking about Victorian stlye ELBs, and medieval warbows, then yes, there is a difference.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:45 am »
hey thanks,you answered my question...the mary rose is an english war bow...for some reason i was thinking that they where two differant bows...SO,is there differant profiles of the english war bows..thanks john

Rod

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:51 am »
The essential difference is in the draw-weight and later, in the draw-length.
Also in the style of tiller.
Also target weight "lawn archery" bows of the gentry in the later period were often made of joined billets and had a different tillered shape.

The "war bow" is really a single stave and fully tillered, every part of it's length doing some work, even if only slightly bending at the handle and tips.
There is a benefit in distributing work of the greater load over the full length of the stave.

The lawn archery bow in it's later forms very often, particularly in a joined "billet" bow, had a stiff handle and relatively stiff tips.
In this style the work of the bending limb is distributed over a smaller proportion of the stave's length.

Also the cross section came to differ considerably, particularly in the very slender low weight bows made from tropical hardwoods.
These often have the "high arched" section that is all too often mistakenly given as the archetypal English bow section, which it is not really.

The heavy single stave bow is usually more rounded out in section, which is functional in terms of better distribution of stress that would be concentrated in the corners of a more exaggerated profile.

Hope this helps.

Rod.

Rod

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:24:15 am »
John,
If you are concerned about the "correct" draw-weight, then from  practical point of view anything from a heavy hunting bow upwards would probably qualify.
In some times and places 80lb or 90lb would be an adequate "war" bow.
The median on horseback is probably in the 90lb to 120lb range, perhaps nearer 120lb to 150lb in later infantry bows.
But this is the product of an arms race between defensive and offensive systems.
I would think it quite legitimate to use any bow at or exceeding the higher end of the hunting bow spectrum.

Rod.