Author Topic: anyone tried greenheart?  (Read 5299 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
anyone tried greenheart?
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »
I just found out I can get some greenheart, supposed to be harder than ipe! was wondering if anyone had tried it because it aint cheap?. Bet it will make a mean bow?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Cromm

Re: anyone tried greenheart?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »
Hi,
Pip Bickerstaffe loves the stuff.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:54 am »
 Chris Boyton as well. It's supposed to be great stuff.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:17:10 am »
I don't know who told you it was harder than Ipe, but if you look at the Janka hardness test, Ipe is 3680 lbs while greenheart is 2350 lbs.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:58:15 am »
Thanks guys, thats helpful, seems like its worth buying a plank. There is a company that will deliver a 6foot x6"x2" to my door for £50, only trouble I cant see it first , bit of a risk, but if its good should be able to get  quite a few bows out of it. They say it usually straight and Knot free. Justin, looks like I got wrong info. on hardness from them though!!. should I risk it????h ???mmmm
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:30 pm »
 If you're backing it, why not. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
The Brits and Scotts used to make two-handled fly rods out of the stuff. If it will do for a fly-rod, it will certainly make a bow.
Gordon

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:18:22 am »
Alot of Greenheart is sold as Ipe, and alot of Ipe is sold as Greenheart. It can be very difficult to tell the difference.

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:23 am »
Greenheart makes a great laminated bow, both as a core and belly (I've used it for both). Here's a bow I made with a greenheart belly quite recently http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16770.msg231162.html#msg231162

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:12:38 am »
I don't know who told you it was harder than Ipe, but if you look at the Janka hardness test, Ipe is 3680 lbs while greenheart is 2350 lbs.

When I googled "Janka Hardness Test", the Wikipedia chart listed Lignum Vitae (Guaiacum officinale or Guaiacum sanctum) as the hardest trade wood, and when I looked that up, I found that an alternate name for Lignum Vitae is Greenheart and that may be the source of the confusion.  All species in that genus are listed as potentially endangered, so if you can find Lignum Vitea, I would get it while you still can.  I don't think it is ever traded in the US as Greenheart though, so your looking at "Chlorocardium rodiei", hardness=2350#
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit