Author Topic: Hickory vs Osage which is best  (Read 18412 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Hickory vs Osage which is best
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:47 am »
The magic is not in the wood but is cradled in the arms of the bowyer. :) Jawge

very very true   ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Timo

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »
YOU GUYS ARE BORING! Osage sucks and hickory is wicked awesome! Smiley Jawge

Feeling a bit "spunky" there Jawge?  ;D Hernia hasn't taken anything outa you I see, ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »
I'm like everybody else, either one will make a fine bow, but I'll take osage here in the land of wring-water-out-of-the-air-with-your-bare-hands. If you can keep the hickory dry, it's great. But even with a good finish, it'll eventually reach an equilibrium with the local humidity. If your house is centrally heated and cooled, it'll help to keep wood pretty dry. One thing I've noticed is that even though we have hickory growing everywhere here, most of the local Indians greatly preferred locust for their bows. I would say that the main reason is that locust is an oily heartwood very similar to osage in it's ability to not pick up a lot of moisture in a humid environment.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 12:41:47 pm »
Doing ok, Timo. Just tired. No pain.   I was depending on y'all to energize me but...:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
I find there is not enough work involved with Hickory. Just removing the bark stinks, no sapwood to remove or rings to chase, feel almost guilty everytime I use it. Been feeling guilty a lot lately.  ;D  
Central Kentucky

Offline Postman

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »

Absolutely NOT trying to start a fuss.
I'd like to try my hand at a bow later. Some hickory around, not much for Osage though.
I've been eyeing maple because it's everywhere (like oak).
Learning is all. Sorry if it sounded different.
[/quote]

I know Riarcher, it didn't sound different, just tryin' to help. You should have plenty of locust up there too, and people usually don't mind it being cut compared to hick.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »
If you live where it rains more than twice a summer, its going to be Osage all the way.  ::)
 Their really not even comparable in my book.  :)
The only thing hickory is good for here is backing strips for other types of wood, that and smoking chickens..... ;D

I'll take numerous other white woods over hickory for self bows, like good hard maple, elm, hawthorne, and hophornbeam just to name a few.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »
One whitewood I like and moisture really doesn't seem to effect it is Vine Maple.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »
Yes, Ryan, but if you lived in the desert you'd be using hickory. Pretty humid here in the summer and hickory does become a bit limp. I like osage too. There are not any disadvantages to it really except it is can be tough to work and crooked as all get out. It's great if you like heating and beating wood into submission which I do not. But still osage can be magical to work. Hickory...poof. it's a bow.  The last osage bow I made I could have made 5 hickories. BL, the oaks, HH and others are not as moisture sensitive as hickory. Much depends on environment and wood availability. Osage doesn't grow on trees around here. Best thing for the newb is to make his/her own decision. So, Postman, no one thinks you are trying to start anything. In fact, you are being very respectful. You are doing the right thing. Try them both and make up your mind. All wood is good. Never met a stave I didn't like. Time for a nap.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »
The best bow wood is the next piece I get my bloody hands on! 

But then I live where there is such low humidity that the County Extension agent here sent in a rain sample last summer that tested out at only 14% moisture!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »
                                    JW....You sure that You ain't describing the Texas Panhandle....... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome