Author Topic: 39" bow, 25" draw ....your chuckle for the day  (Read 12160 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: 39" bow, 25" draw ....your chuckle for the day
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:39 pm »
 Love it, Sometimes those tiny bows are more work then the big ones.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »
Nice bow Half Eye.Some kid will really like it. ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »
great stuff half eye! ;D

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »
Wow that thing is really bending, I love it.  Love them short bows.  what do you think it would take to get a 27" draw? 45in?  That is gonna be a sweet little shooter for a kid. 

Tell
Tell Riley

half eye

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:48:19 pm »
RC,
      I got that out of a 48" molle....it was ash with a grey elm backer about 1/8" thick.....elm backed elm or elm backed oak would do it also. On the 48" you may want to modify the molle design just a bit....maybe give it 1/2" more working limb before the lever fade......I believe you could get 50# @ 27 with any of those.
       Even with the levers to help out at some point you will run into a string angle where stack will be a problem....and maybe not worth the couple or three inches you saved in length...........all in all this design will really pull (bend). Also if you go real short I'd make the limbs a good 2" wide, it looks a little funny for a short bow but builds in a little "safety" factor.
Rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:41 pm »
nice bow half eye as always and a nice save as well ! did i hear you say you needed arrow shafts ?? i might could find some

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 09:25:59 am »
Way to go, halfeye.  A nice little bow!
1’—>1’

half eye

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:53 am »
Thanks Ken,
         Got me some right-fine shafts from a Southern Gentleman (you probably know him  :D)....some stone heads just arrived from Mr. Concrete so I'll be building some (3) deer arrows for this coming October. That cherry is going to knock yer socks off when ya see them deer killers. Thank you
Rich

Offline TBod

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 12:11:43 pm »
Nice bow!

I use the belt sander as well , but I put the shaft in my power screwdriver/drill before and then on to the belt sander and move it back and forth.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
Very cool. Some youngster is going to be proud.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 07:36:35 pm »
I've been doing some historical digging into the original Møllegabet archeological find, and found some interesting information from German archeologist and bowyer, Juergen Junkmanns.  Juergen did his Masters and is now working on his Doctorate on Prehistoric Bows and Arrows of Europe. 

Møllegabet BTW is pronounced more like "Mull gabbet" than "Molly ga-bet".  It's not from the Viking era, but from 6000 years earlier.  The Møllegabet site is under something like waist deep water.  7000 years ago it was back from the beach a ways.

Anyway... it turns out that the Møllegabet bow, discovered about a decade ago, is undoubtedly a youth bow.  Made for a well-to do youth, no doubt.  It's the only one of its kind ever found.  Tribal variant of the Holmgaard design?  Completely different tradition?  We'll probably never know for sure.  Suffice it to say the Møllegabet and Holmgaard designs are decidedly different.

The complete bow wasn't recovered but what was preserved tells us that it was between 39 and 48 inches long (the tips were not recovered), and made from Elm (there are no yew bows in prehistoric Europe).  Draw weight somewhere between 20 and 45 pounds.  The working limbs were about 1-1/4" wide, and slightly less than 1/2" thick.  The stiff tips were about slightly less than 1/2" wide at mid-limb taper, slightly more than 1/2" thick, and tapering towards narrow nocks. 

Sounds almost exactly like what you made Half-Eye!!   Make me wonder if  your "Oops! Guess I'll make a smaller bow out of the broken bits"  is how the original came to be made over 7000 years ago.  History does repeat itself...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:05:06 am by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:15 am »
HE,

Post use some pics of those arras when you get done making them.  Would love to see how those points haft up.  you got some sinew? If not let me know I know where to find lots of it. ;D ::)

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 09:28:17 am »
Nice kids bow Rich
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »
Never say die. And, helping out youngen's. Can't beat that!
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 07:49:12 pm »
The bow is groovy man if anything to laugh about you keep making bows and taking the picture in the same spot u mealted the snow!  I can see the grass.. lol  Great bow Half eye!!!

Russ