Author Topic: cane arrow nocks, fast  (Read 3816 times)

Offline jturner

cane arrow nocks, fast
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:03 am »
Does anyone else burn the nocks on their arrows? I just did a dozen in about five minutes, beats cutting them. I took a piece of wire from a muskrat strecher about 4 inches long drilled a hole in a dowel handle for it. heat it on the gas stove red hot and burn the nocks in my shafts. no splinters and it hardens them too. Never had a problem with them
Jake Turner     Michigan

Jmhoff10500

Re: cane arrow nocks, fast
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:58:14 am »
You can get a wire called nichrome wire that get really hot and can be powered by a 9 volt battery so you don't have to worry about doing it by a stove... Its the same stuff i use to light off fireworks on the 4th!!!

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »
...sounds great. 8)
any pics?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »
Where can I get the wire?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Jmhoff10500

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:56:16 am »
I get mine off eBay and its only 3 bucks or so... Id recommend the larger wires or even a ribbon, but when you get big enough, you have to get a bigger battery.  ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
I get mine off eBay and its only 3 bucks or so... Id recommend the larger wires or even a ribbon, but when you get big enough, you have to get a bigger battery.  ;D
This is the same type of wire used on me feather burner isn't it? If you have a burner you could just put the wire in it couldn't you?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »
This wire is also used in electric space heaters.  It is a bit brittle and will break if you bend it to much.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
sounds good!  but, ill stick with my tile saw nock cutter.  same size as my bow strings:)
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:01:24 pm »
 Takes me a flip of the switch with my bandsaw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:03 pm »
A good way to avoid splintering boo is to wrap masking tape around the nock end and saw through it while cutting the groove. It works for me ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:49 am »
i drill a hole in it, then cut to the hole and run some sand paper through it, that way it "pops" onto the string like factory nocks.  ;D
lets just shoot it