Author Topic: Nothing great  (Read 2094 times)

Lombard

Nothing great
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:35 am »
Worked on some of the stuff Bill Skinner had given me. I got a couple pecked out today. Nothing great, but for me, at least they didn't break. The Talhatta stuff was kicking my butt, but this Coastal Plains material was a little easier to work. Finding all kinds of fossils in this stuff, just little shells and such.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline brownhillboy

Re: Nothing great
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:32 am »
You sound like me....just happy to end up with something whole!  Good work. :)
south central VA

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:36:30 am »
just need to clean up them edges and they are killers. nice job
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:06 am »
Looks like you've got the basics down. Symmetry, straight edges and thinning. Yep, if you pick those deltas back and forth you'll clean and sharpen up that edge and can fine tune the symmetry at the same time. That's some pretty material.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:20 am »
Thanks guys, I will clean those edges up, and try to sharpen them. Should the pressure flaker be sharpened to a fine point for that work?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
  When I clean the edge up I use a small pressure flaker that has been pounded flat and thin. then I go back over it with a very sharp pointed, hard horse shoe nail or ice pick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:03:04 pm »
Yes it should
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »
Those are looking good.  What everybody said about cleaning up the edges.  You also might to think about useing a beveled edge.  Alabama has a minimum width of 7/8", so you don't want to get them too narrow.  Missed you at Stanley's knap-in this weekend, are you going to be able to make the Moundville Knap-In this weekend?  Bill

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:52:24 am »
Sounds like me too but be proud of your work and forge ahead knapping is a learning process till the day you stop doing it no matter how good you are! 
Russ