Author Topic: not sure what to think about this.  (Read 15561 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: not sure what to think about this.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:07:13 am »
lol dont mind the hijacking. the original thread made me feel like an idiot anyway.  ::)

those ballistas and trebuchets are awsome. me and my dad made the retarded redneck's version of a trebuchet onece. uh, it threw a brick straight up, and you had to pull the pin and run like hell lol. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
Dane, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that gets my stamp of approval!!! I'd love to be there to see that ballistae shoot! Do you guys make your own caligilae or where do you get them?
Living a dream...

Offline Dane

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:53 pm »
lol dont mind the hijacking. the original thread made me feel like an idiot anyway.  ::)

those ballistas and trebuchets are awsome. me and my dad made the retarded redneck's version of a trebuchet onece. uh, it threw a brick straight up, and you had to pull the pin and run like hell lol. :P
\

Thanks, man. You made me laugh out loud - retarded redneck version. :)

One of the early pioneers of catapult reconstruction was a German named Schramm. He worked in the late 1800s and early 1900s, an officer in Wilhelm's army. He was demonstrating one machine for the Kaiser, and it misfired, shot a huge stone straight in the air, and it nearly crushed the Kaiser. Whoops.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 08:16:56 pm »
Dane, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that gets my stamp of approval!!! I'd love to be there to see that ballistae shoot! Do you guys make your own caligilae or where do you get them?
'
Thanks for saying that. That machine was amazing. We called it the Roman Atomic Cannon. It weighed close to 3,000 pounds. Setting it up was really dangerous, too. Fred finally sold the machine to some prop house in Hollywood, and we miss it.

Most of us make a lot of our own gear. In the shot of me as an auxilia archer, most of the clothing I made myself. I did buy my caligai, Depeeka, an Indian company, is a good source, but not totaly authentic. The hobnails are all wrong, for one thing. I am planning to make a pair of closed boots this year, with proper hobnails.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:39 am »
More great pics! Man, It'd be some fun to set up a bunch of junk Ford Pintos and AMC Pacers and start nailing them with that ballistae!

How are caligae as far as comfort goes?
Living a dream...

Offline Dane

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:22 am »
The caligae are actually pretty comfortable, considering they are completely flat. They are made for right and left feet, unlike some ancient shoes. The caligae are actually boots, not sandles, and what sets them apart from Roman civilian footgear are the hobnails. During the Jewish war, the enemy could tell if it was Roman soldiers because of the sound of the hobnails. Those things grip the ground really well, but are deadly on hard surfaces, so you have to be careful walking on pavement, etc, or you go down hard when your feet slip. 

Here are some shots from a march a few of us did last summer. You can see the Roman marching pack, which is more like a pole with the leather bag and other things lashed to it, and you carry it over your shoulder like a hobo pack. We did this along a rail trail in Northampton, got tons of weird looks (all reenactors are used to this, as are wooden bow archers, eh?), but some people who asked some good questions. The idea is to keep up a proper legionarie pace. No weapons, as we didnt want to hassle with getting permission this time, so we left our gladius and pugio in the cars. I am planning more extensive marches this year, something Legio III needs to do more of.

As for the calegia, I felt good after the march. Generally, you start to feel it after a full day of wearing the boots, but they work well and are pretty comfortable.

Dane
PS Notice the hat I am wearing, like Mike Houston's lol. There is pictorial evidence that Roman soldiers wore straw hats, odd as it may seem.

[attachment deleted by admin]