Author Topic: Broken Sinew Bowstring  (Read 5816 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Broken Sinew Bowstring
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:57:38 am »
Isn't artificial sinew just sinew colored B50? ???

Nope artifiacal sinew is nylon and super stretchy, B-50 is Dacron and medium stretchy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
On that subject, I just use brown B-50 and brown serving string. :)

I was wondering though, do you all dry twist your sinew strings.  I wet twisted the one I made, and it didn't look nearly as white and fluffy as the one in the pictures when it was dry.  It was about a quarter inch thick when it was wet, and dried to 1/8.  I dried it with the loop over a dowel, and a weight clamped to the other end.  When dry, it was hard and yellow, then I sanded the rough fuzz off of it.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 05:06:29 pm »
Jude, I "dry twist" my strings but I dip my fingertips in water while I twist.  I can't seem to make a good string if the sinew is soaking wet.  I wet the string after it is twisted, remove the excess water, and then hang it up to dry.

I have a thread call "Sinew Bowstring Technique" that shows how I do it:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5126.0.html

(Sorry about the low quality of the pictures. They are a little blurry...I need to take clearer pictures and re-post the thread...someday)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 12:55:16 am »
I'm with jude. Dry twisting sinew is a modern method. Wet twisting activates the natural sinew glue and makes a stringer string