Author Topic: Arrow flight problems  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Arrow flight problems
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:29:45 am »
 I've been getting back into making and shooting my primitive bows after shooting recurves for a couple of years now. I cant seem to get consistent arrow flight, arrows will fishtail and porpoise from time to time. I've tried various arrow spines and it still happens. I can get them to fly right for a while and then things start to go down hill, There grouping well and going where I aiming. I suspect its a form issue but I just cant put my finger on it. I don't recall having this problem when I use to shoot selfbows and its very frustrating, any suggestion before I throw in the towel. Thanks, Craig

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Arrow flight problems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:56:01 am »
 Craig, try different brace heights and nocking points. If they are grouping good and the spine is right I would suspect fine tuning your brace height will help.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:23:00 am »
So your doing the same thing everytime and sometimes the arrow goes crazy?  I know if I don't get a clean release and pluck the string, I get crazy arrows.  Course you been shooting longer than me! :D
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:48:01 am »
yup,as Mulet said
fine tune that brace height and nock point
once that is done,put a nock indicator on the string so its consistant shot after shot
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:02 pm »

Porpoising is ususally related to Nock Point....Fishtailing can be caused either by too stiff...or to weak an Arrow Shaft...or by plucking the String on release.....Got a Video Camera? If so set it up and film You making your release...this is one of the Handiest tools for an Archer...you can't see what you are doing wrong...but you can't hide it from the Camera either....give it w try and see
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »
marking a nock point on the bowstring is a great first step towards killing the porpoise action.  I find I also need to mark the location of the arrow pass on the bow grip that corresponds with the correct nock point.  Moot point if you shoot with a shelf.

As for the fishtail problem, make sure the arrows you are making or buying are matched spine weight.  Then make absolute sure you are using a totally solid anchor point.  And the last step is to make sure the bow arm is consistent.  I had a problem with keeping my left elbow only slightly cocked when I started to get tired.  I'd end up shortening my draw a whole two inches. 

Shooting with a more experienced buddy watching you can point out your flaws. 

And the last piece of advice....watch for dropping your bow arm in order to watch the flight of the arrow.  THAT explained why I had so many inconsistently low arrows a year ago.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »
Have you ever watched ..."The Masters Of The Bare Bow"  series? If not you should...it gives quite a Bit of Information on all forms of Sighting...and Shooting...and Bare Bow ...and Bare ArrowTuning
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »
Tie a knot on your string under your nocking point.  Apparently sometimes the arrow wants to slide down the string during the release.  Don't put your knot too close to the nocking point or you'll pinch your arrow. 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:13 am »
Thanks guys for all the advice, I did a search on brace heights and it seemed mine was a little on the high side compared to what I was reading so I lowered it. I also focused on my release which I believe was contributing to the problem, I guess recurves are more forgiving of a poor release because  I hadn't noticed any problems before. Anyways I think were on the right track as things did improve greatly yesterday while shooting, thanks again.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »
Craig , you mentioned that you get good arrow flight for a while,then it deteriorates.It sounds like to me,that as you tire,your allowing bad habits to creep in on you.You can shorten your practice time, and stop while your still shooting well .As someone else mentioned,have someone watch your form to help find the problem. The problem you are describing sounds an awful lot like one I fight from time to time.It only happens after I've shot way too many arrows. I have to focus on (1) rock solid bow arm,(2) reaching full draw(get it all) and positive anchor,with my draw arm straight in line with the arrow and my elbow feeling as if it is directly in line with my anchor.(3)Then the release is crisp,your string hand remains on your cheek,and the arrow hits the mark,with speed. I hope this makes sense. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »
    Nocking point UPAND DOWN spine LEFT AND RIGHT.But not relaseing the same each time and also caulse arrow wipp.I'd say if you've played with spine.It's your release after your getting tired.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING