Author Topic: longitudinal grain? UGH!  (Read 2056 times)

Offline riarcher

longitudinal grain? UGH!
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:12:54 pm »
Okay, follow / chase a ring. that's one thing.
But on a maple stick(?) longitudinal grain (LG) it seems not as easy at all.
Once it's barked I can vaguely see about where to go with it. However, once I got started I'm not so positive that I acually am still on the right path.  :o
Roughed the belly in pretty easy with a machetti and feel comfortable with it so far. It is green and just want to rough it in to dry quicker.
But, when I went for the sides I sort of feel lost. It's all looking very much the same to me.
What am I missing?
Admittedly, this is a sacrificial (not expecting much) experiment. I kind of see the LG but it's not as defined as ring chasing and not so absolutely sure that what I'm looking at is other than a imaginary "hope it's right" thing.
I'm sure there has got to be a better way than by guess & by gosh?
Would it show it's self better when dry to the knife?
(Short version,,, I think I'm lost  ::))
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline yazoo

Re: longitudinal grain? UGH!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »
I made some maple blanks this week,,longitutal grain hard to see,,If you are working a stave that has been split,,split it down to a 2in wide stave,,center your bow in that 2in stave,,,mark a center line from tip to tip layout your bow out off that mark and your longitutal grain has been followed with out ever actually seeing it
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline riarcher

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:41:11 pm »
Thanks Yazoo.
I almost went that way, but figured it was too easy to be right.  ;D
Going to give it a whirl in the morning.
Thanks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »
You do the best you can. May be this will help. This is hickory. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/layout.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline riarcher

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:20 am »
Thanks George.
Thinking Maple may not have been a good choice to begin with.
I can see grain on that hickory pretty good.  :D

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:41 am »
OK, I've got my hard hat and eye protection on, so I'll ask this question:

Did our Native American predecessors "chase rings", did they sit in dim wigwams or in variable outside lighting and fret about each bit of annual fiber, scraping away with a piece of stone without the benefit of bi-focals?  Or did they simply start with a nice split of wood, smooth the back, scrape the belly to get an acceptable tiller and go hunting? 

Not being a smart A$$ here......just really curious if all this lost sleep over a maple stick is worthwhile?  What you give to drop back a thousand years and sit around the fire with a N.A. Bowyer and watch him work? 

piper  (sorry i have been out of sight here for a while......lot's of things happening here )

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:21 am »
It depends on which wood they used, islandiper. I've seen photos of osage bows scraped to a heartwood ring (Hamm's Encyclopedia of Native American Bows and Arrows Vol 1).  Whitewoods like hickory don't need to be brought to heartwood ring. Take off the bark and make a bow.  As for the long. grain, tey didn't use saws so it would split along that grain. Als, they used saplings a lot so again long. grain would not be an issue. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:50 am »
on maple you don't have to chase a ring anyway..just remove bark and walla..there is your back...Native Americans usually used sapling for their bows not trunk staves....splitting the stave will show you the longitudinal grain..gut