Author Topic: Walnut: sapwood or heartwood?  (Read 5025 times)

Offline dogwood3

Walnut: sapwood or heartwood?
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:29:52 pm »
I cut a nice walnut log that should have several good staves in it.  I've never tried walnut before, but I know some have considered it a good bow wood.  I read somewhere on this sight that the sapwood it preferable to the heartwood.  I would like to know some opinions on the use of this wood and how to get one of the staves into action quickly.

Dogwood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Walnut: sapwood or heartwood?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »
The only black walnut selfbows I've made I used the sapwood under the bark as the back. I have used BW heartwood in backed bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:22:37 am »
    I know alot of people have bad reactions to wallnut dust.Go slow untill you find out about yourself.
   When I get down to sanding osage makes my eyes puffy.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:32 am »
I much prefer the heartwood.  a walnut bow to me should be that beautiful dark wood, if i was goin to use the the white sap wood then i would probably choose a better performing wood.  so i guess for me a walnut bow is more of a thing of beauty that a big performer.  but also the few sapwood staves i worked all ended up breaking, but i made a short little recurve from the heartwood and its still shooting good..- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline yazoo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »
I used to see some guys at the great lakes shoot and denton hill.. the guy was very short sometimes wore green tights  and had some great walnut  english longbows,,and they were sapwood only,, I personally have never used it,,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »
Dogwood,
         I build board bows from wood we either cut or split into vertical grain sticks. Made a lot of bows from black walnut and like the stuff. Our walnut up north here has very little "white wood" and all of my bows were really black in color. Most that I made for friends were 60" or so, drew 28-29 inches, and most were in the 60# range......long story short they were pretty fast, they are still going, and look good to boot.
          I like the way it works with tools, so in my opinion you ought to give it a shot for yourself.....ya just might like it ;D    For what ever it might be worth.
Rich

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »
I would go for the heartwood also. I have a bamboo walnut power lam with osage on the belly, great shooter. I have seen hickoty backed walnut, John McCullough says it's an easy and good combo for anyone.
Remember a sweet looker that Gary Davis had years ago, sinew backed. Go for it!

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:08 pm »
In my experience (which isn't much) I think both sap wood and heart wood can make serviceable bows. Sap wood will take a lot more set so make it wide. Heartwood is a little faster and can be made a little narrower but not much. It does take heat treating fairly well and bends well with just heat too.
I agree with Crooketarrow about the walnut dust. it doesn't bother me much but some people can have a bad reaction to it.
All in all I think walnut is widely overlooked as a bow wood.
I also think that the darker the heartwood is the stronger in compression it seems.
Walnut will chrysal if you try to push it to fast. Just go slow and make sure she bends when and where she wants to.
IMHO I favor a ring of sap backing over the heartwood. You'll look hard to find a prettier combination.
Mark
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:36:47 pm by commadore »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »
Both make good bows I prefer the heartwood because of the color.
SW Utah

Offline dogwood3

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »
Have those of you who have tried walnut used the english longbow "D" cross section or the rectangular cross section?  I read an article in the PA several years ago by someone who made a successful english longbow from walnut. 

Dogwood

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:59:27 pm »
I personally wouldn't try an elb with it but I'm sure it could be done if tillered right. I would back it with something for sure though.
I have only made rectangle crossection bows from it. When I first started I made them to narrow and thick and they were short lived. They all made bows but not for long. I build mine about 1 3/4" at the fades and keep them that wide to mid limb gradually tapering to about 9-10" from the tip (1 1/4") and then narrow them to a 5/8" tip. For what it's worth.
Mark 
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)