Author Topic: 1st Osage Pics of finished bow  (Read 4293 times)

Offline uwe

Re: 1st Osage
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »
Your first Osage? I`ve read it twice. Thought nearly everyone in the States made one of Osage.
Regards Uwe

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »
Thanks guys. Your comments and complaments are greatly appreciated.  I did a little sanding on the belly to get her ready for the tru-oil, but ended up working late today. If I get a chance to get a few more pics with it stained and handle wrapped I'll put them up in the next few days.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »
                                            I wish my First Osage looked that nice...a Job Well Done.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:05 am »
When I made my first Osagebow, about12 or 13 years ago I was very careful working with this wood. I was astonished how much more power and strength this wood covered. My bow was shorter than my others, the limbs weren`t as wide and there was so much strength. I don`t know if there exist a pic somewhere, but she looked and she shot got (still she does, although I shortened and retillered the bow).
Later somebody told me that Osage will still give a good bow, even if Newbies do it (I think the Newbie must already have good tillering experiences, because the wood is to expensive (in Germany/ Europe)).
Regards Uwe

Offline Diligence

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »
I sure like the looks of that one.

I've been using the ellipse tool as well, but am trying to follow the adage, "take one aspirin, not the whole bottle" and so am trying not to overthink things.  I took the liberty of adding my own ellipse to your bow.  First I levelled the bow so the back was horizontal (as best I could) then added the ellipse being sure to intersect the nocks. (per instructions I got on this site)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:19 am »
                                                                           ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline riarcher

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 01:40:37 am »
Looks better to me. Nice job too.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 02:31:38 am »
Good work I like it !

Russ

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 09:57:02 am »
That is super work for your first one.  I'm trying to get some twist out of an Osage stave then I'll be joining you.  Great job, looking forward to seeing you finishing it up!
1’—>1’

HatchA

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:06 pm »
That is super work for your first one.  I'm trying to get some twist out of an Osage stave then I'll be joining you.  Great job, looking forward to seeing you finishing it up!

Aye, a great tiller achieved!!

I got my first osage stave yesterday, all the way from Missouri and there's some twist to contend with but man...  I am SO looking forward doing this!!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: 1st Osage Pics of finished bow
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 05:32:24 pm »
 I said I would put up the pics when I got it finished. I didn't do any finish sanding because I wanted to make it as rustic as I could. I used acrylic waterbased paint. Covered the whole bow and wiped off the excess so it left it in all the marks.Seeled it with bees wax and  wrapped the handle in black rawhide.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »
hillbilly you did an outstanding job on that bow. That being your first I can't wait to see some more you do in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »
looks great nice job!! anyway so how do you get that elipse to show up??