Author Topic: All on my own...  (Read 2864 times)

Stringman

All on my own...
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:16 am »
I've been inspired. After watching so many people on here that have started small and accomplished so much, I feel compelled to show where I'm at now. I have alot of people to thank from MOJam, and a little blood sweat and stitches of my own. 

These three points came from some rock that I found in a local stream bed. it makes it that much more special to me that it is rock that I found in my area. Just makes me feel that much more connected to my roots.

By the way, its my first time posting pics....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: All on my own...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:35 am »
Damn they look great to me, any chance of bigger pictures :) Thanks for sharing eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:10 pm »
Heck yea. Those are some good looking points.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:17 pm »

Them is real nice points! ;)

You say you got some help at Mojam? Which tarp did you set at? I'm terrible with names, but faces,now I will remember you ifin you sat with us. We always set up down about midway,with 3 canopies tied together,Ralph Conrad,Brad Arlie,Marty Horn,Shane Alexander, and Myself. There are always several coming by to set a spell and ask questions,do a lil hands on. Ring any bells?

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:38:33 pm »
Yeah, it's all your fault Tim (although, there are others who helped with the addiction.) I sure did learn a lot from you guys last year. I'm the guy u swapped points with that last day. I sure got the better end of that! Ha ha.

Hey any ideas on what u would call this rock? I got it from W central I'll and before I broke it open it was a deep rusty red. Sure was glad I didn't have to heat it. Instead I used (I think Marty's) trick and soaked it. Worked real well.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
wow , great chippin
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:03 pm »
Nice job....they look good!
south central VA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »
Wow, great looking points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »
Good lookin stuff man! Them are nice...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:12 pm »
Yea, I member ya String man! You were really strugglin when you got there but Ifin I member right you were nockin um out before you left!

Your chippin looks good, Stay at it dude. It'll all come. ;)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:54 pm »
Those are good lucking points, you're lucky to have local rock.
VB

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »
I agree VB. But, I was in the same boat as the majority of you till just recently. I had no idea where to go, or what to look for. It just happened that I was out four wheelin in a creek bed with some friends. I asked the guy that lived in that area if he had ever seen any flint or chert. He said that he hadn't but did'nt mind if I walked around and looked. I had taken maybe 5 steps before I started pickin it up. I was still uncertain of what I had till i got it home to see if it was really what I wanted. Boy was I excited when I started knocking big spalls off the chunks. I have always assumed that this should be a productive region, but it sure is nice to see the evidence.

Here's a little bit better look.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:07:50 pm »
Stringman, that looks like "harvester" chert, Good stuff!

Alot of the rock in N.E Mo has brown in it, not sure how far over you are?. Really cool stuff. If you run onto more than you can handle, bring some to Mojam,maybe you could get rid of some?

Also, if you find some good solid large pieces, put them back and leave them until you get your confidence in spalling them. You'll be sorry later if you don't. Trust me on this. ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:09:52 pm »
ohhh thats purty rock
nice point too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd