Author Topic: Thinning asmall spalls  (Read 3581 times)

bowkee

Thinning asmall spalls
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »
Been tryin to this what 2" spalls to make 1/8" thick points ,can't seem to do that very well.
I was given some small slabs, no problem there. 
here is the latest from a slab.
Been doin it since about the time sailor dad started, wich by the way he is doin really good with his points, got any tips?
been reading tips all over the net and videos, maybe yers will make sence. Phillip

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Thinning asmall spalls
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:02 pm »
1/8" thick, is thin even for a VERY experienced knapper.  If the point was say...1" wide. That would be an 8 to 1 width to thickness ratio :o   Don't get discouraged if you're having trouble doing that. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »
Yeah keep up with the practice and reading about it I have a whole wheelbarrow full of points that are too thick twisted snapped in half...etc...  It takes time your hands are going to hurt, get dry, and cut.  It's all part of the fun!

Russ

bowkee

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:21 am »
Thanks Guys, I will have to remember that Ratio and proportion, got that with the Bows

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:06:35 pm »
Phillip,i thought this might be you  ;D
nice that your posting again
cant say i really have any tips with spalls
i just get lucky sometimes,and i never post pics of all the ugly ones and the ones that dont turn out well

i still struggle with getting some materials thin enough
slabs i can pretty much do what i want with.like snapping them in half lol
other than that i have been spending atleast 2 hrs a night just making flakes.experience seems to be the biggest help all around for knapping
i have been cutting back on my knapping as of late though,early spring weather has been incredible

i did get a chance to watch sawfiler for awhile
i learned that a larger bopper helps to get a biface thin when making them
if you get a chance watch the you tube vid on paralell flaking,that seems to help thin and slick them up too

good luck                                                peace,
                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »
I started gettin em thin when I learned to isolate platforms. Check out paleoman jims video on isolating. Peace.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23:21 pm »
I agree with what Jamie said, I learned alot with the isolated platform youtube videos, it really helps to run good thinning flakes, I also went out to the garage this weekend and just worked on platforms and flakes with scrap and didn't even try to make a point, just practiced technique.
VB

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:25 am »
Thanks for the lead Jamie, as I don't fully understand isolated platforms.

bowkee

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:13:49 am »
yA tHANKS ALL, tIM i DIDn't know that was sawfiler on you tube,Edbo? all those Vids get me motivated. There sure is a lot of em.
Friend gave me lots of slabs to work with evn has a knapper box withem. Peace. Phillip

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:01:17 am »
i watched the isolated platform vids the other night and tried the technique

i am confused as to how to do it,evan after the vids
i am just gonna save my chunks that need some good thinning untill i get to a knapp in and can have someone show me how to do it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 07:23:10 am »
Tim Its basically creating a fluting nipple for every strike. Pay attention to how he relieves the edges its very important.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

bowkee

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:26:23 am »
Wish there was a knapp in around here.  :'(

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:25 am »
Bowkee, I don't have any videos. Tim and I had a chance to sit in the knapping pit at Pappys place a few weeks ago and do a little chipping together. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:24 am »
Bowkee all you gotta do is post some stuff up on various sites I am a memeber of several like paleoplanet...etc..  I met a ton of people and shockingly in my backyard.  I cant believe how many people is into this.  Cool stuff!  Where u at Bowkee? 

Russ

bowkee

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 01:33:46 am »
Bowkee all you gotta do is post some stuff up on various sites I am a memeber of several like paleoplanet...etc..  I met a ton of people and shockingly in my backyard.  I cant believe how many people is into this.  Cool stuff!  Where u at Bowkee? 

Russ
Northern California