Author Topic: Handle Issues to Tiller check  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Kentb

Handle Issues to Tiller check
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
Well this is where I am at with the stave I had the knot in the handle. I decided to make it a little lighter poundage since I have such a long draw. So I am at 45# @ 30 1/2"  62" ttt this is only my second bow so all help welcome!! Below are pictures braced and full draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:00:36 pm by Kentb »

Offline kerryb

Re: Handle Issues to Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »
Im hoping someone will put an arc using paint, wish i new how.
Milan Mo

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:54:32 pm »
Ok, this is a wonderful chance for both of us to learn something. I  can draw ellipses in paint, and would be happy to tell you how to do it as well;

I've seen many drawn for tiller checks on hear, but I've never quite understood the exact layout that's needed.

Here is the most likely wrong way: lined up with the back of the handle, and with the outer points of the ellipse passing through the nocks.

I'm sure that's not right, but I hope someone will correct me. cheers!

Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »
Looks pretty good. Very nice. Leaving that bow drawn that much on a tiller stick while you snap a picture is asking for trouble. Consider a rope and pulley. They are pretty easy to build-much easier that t sticks. There are several alternatives if yo are interested. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:37 pm »
El D is the king of the elliptical tiller check, and he likes to put the ellipse over the nocks.  I personally just try to match the curve of the limbs so I can see where the deviations are more easily, especially when there are recurves or stiff tips.

Just open your image in "paint" (start - all programs - accessories - paint) and select the ellipse tool and the color you want to use.  Then start drawing ellipses until you get one that fits.  See the dots I left in the upper left corner?  Those were starting points that didn't work.  I just adjusted from there until I got the "best" fit.  "Best" being highly subjective.

-edit-  I forgot to mention that having the bow and photo level or plumb is critical.  You might notice I rotated the image in order to plumb the tiller stick.  Also done by guess and by golly.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:29:53 am »
The only time that I put the Elipse over the Nocks...is when the Bow bends to the Nocks...i.e.....a D Bow Style....not on a Stiff Handled Reflexed Bow like this...it would do you no good to try to tiller it that way at all...if you ae going to use the Elipse on a Bow of this Design...You have to make sure that the Elipse touches the Bows Back where it bends at the Handle on both sides of the Handle...not through it like Zen did...this will give you a false reading for sure...also you must be dead on in front of the Bow...with the Bows Handle level in order to get the proper lay out...This Bow seems to be bending too much out of the Fade on the Left Limb...and too much from Mid to Tip on the Right Limb...but thats just my Opinion....and please don't depend only on this Eliptical reference to Tiller a Bow...it is just another helpful Guide...not a surefire way to achieve perfect tiller...It works great on the style Bows I build....it has it's limitations on R/D...and Recurved Bows also...but it can be done on all...just in a different manner

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:46:51 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:20:25 am »
Thanks El D, I knew if I mentioned your name you'd come on and straighten me out, and I'd learn something in the process.  And I did!  I knew I was obscuring the bow with my ellipse, but wasn't sure what to do differently.  I think the way I drew it, it actually made the limbs look better rather than highlight what was wrong with them.  Touching the back at the fades would definitely help.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:50:00 am »
Looks pretty good to me,I'm with Jawges on leaving it pulled on the tiller stick,I do use one but only till it is braced,then go to the pulley system and pull,look and let off pretty quick. :) I would shoot it some if the weight is where you want it. :) Nice job and lots of bend. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kentb

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:37:15 am »
Thanks to all replys, I had thought it looked like it was bending to much at the fades but convinced myself it needed to be, due to the short ntn and long draw length. I am just under the poundage I wanted so I am thinking about putting some reflex in the limbs and adding rawhide, will this increase draw poundage? I need to add about 5lbs and I dont have sinew right now.
Thanks again, and hopefully meet all of you at the Tenn. Classic!!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:09 am »
The reflex and heating might but the rawhide won't help that any. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kentb

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »
Ok, thanks I won't waste my rawhide, on this light poundage bow.
I really appreciate everyone's help!!!