Author Topic: Just blogging  (Read 3641 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Just blogging
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:44 pm »
Today was a pretty good day in some ways and pretty damn rough in others.  I have been "funemployed" for over a year and taking good advantage of it to build and sell a few bows.  I've never been without work for very long since I was about 18, and have rarely taken vacations.  I'm due.  Nuff said.

Today I started a temp job for a friend that is the Exec. Director of a Raptor Rehabilitation and Wildlife Education Center here in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Up til now I have been doing all the volunteer work I could get, but now they've made it official since they are so short handed.  I had fun cleaning up falcon, hawk, owl, and eagle poop in the mews.  I picked up, identified, weighed, and disposed of the various rat, rabbit, quail, chicken, mouse parts left over from the various raptors overnite meals.  I got to chop up more rats, mice, rabbits, quail, chickens, and stuff for feeding them today's rations.  That was fun, too, in it's strange little way. 

But then a South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks Conservation Officer dropped in unnanounced with a large dog crate in his truck.  Inside was a juvenile golden eagle.  The bird was found in Custer State Park and was in tough shape.  Julia, the amazing young woman that was training me on how to clean up bird poop, did a down and dirty quick examination of the seriously stressed bird.  Badly broken wing - death sentence.  He'd never fly again, ever.  Even with extreme effort and great amounts of scarce dollars, this wild bird's best possible scenario would be a cripple, forever staring at the skies he would be denied. 

Here was this awe inspiring, winged death dealer wrapped in a bath towel cradled gently in her arms.  He was physically broken, but the look in that bird's eyes said nothing about surrender. His end was quick, humane, and painless. I am very humbled by this experience.  There was an additional softness in her voice when she took me back to the weathering mews to continue where we had left off. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Just blogging
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:48 am »
Thats sad for sure,but that is life. :( Good for you on your new job,it has to be meaningful. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:59:58 pm »
Learinging life and death will teach anyone a lot of things. i learned it at a young age and coem to respect death and how to do it qickly and keep it sacred and respectful
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »
Was it hit by a car?  That always irks me.  Cars.  I'm not a real big fan but there not going anywhere.
1’—>1’

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »
John, many congrat's on the official position with the park!!  I know how much you were hoping for and  looking forward to it.

Damn shame about the Eagle though :(   damn, damn shame.

Is it insensitive to enquire about the feathers?  Any chance you could get some for fletching, if they make good fletching?  I don't want to come across as mercenary after the poor bird's demise...  I just hate to think of the waste  :-\  It'd be nice to keep some of his plumage flying in the years to come...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:33:01 am »
Oh, sure, I could grab the feathers off that bird, and from several redtail hawks, another golden eagle, some rough legged hawks, a great horned owl, and even a blue heron.   But my boss, who is a long time personal friend of mine would then inform on me to the US Fish and Wildlife agent in the area and she would be sure that I was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  Nah, ain't worth losing the friend, my lierties, or even an arrow.  Besides, after a friend cleaned out his garage I now own over 11 lbs of turkey fletching, I am not feather-poor. 

This job is only temporary, while they go thru a thorough candidate search.  I am being "put upon" to clean up bird poop, chop rats, and do any scut work necessary.  And I love it.  It's worth it to walk by the barred owl, Steinie, and have her puff up and hoot at me because she feels it necessary to drive off strangers from her nest. 

Remember those pics that Vermontclimber (??) posted with the golden eagle recently?  LOL, I am the lowly Cinderella cleaning up after the likes of him!

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:13:21 pm »
As I just typed in another post, I can understand using/taking feathers from birds that you've hunted/killed would be against the law, but what about feathers that the birds shed or preen out.  Or like in this case, the poor creature was put to sleep humanely etc.  Nothing dodgy or "ill gotten" about that, I think.

I wouldn't expect you to pull out feathers from birds as they slept  ;D  just thought it'd be a nice kind of "tribute" for the poor fella.

And if they're putting you through the paces as "The Trainee" and you enjoy the work...  then it doesn't seem like "work", does it? :) 

***EDIT***

El D just answered my question on the other thread.  Sorry for duplicating.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:24:45 pm by HatchA »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:38:29 pm »
Other than the miserable task of handscrubbing the birdpoop, this job is kinda fun!  'Specially chopping rats, never much liked rats.