Author Topic: Arrow wood?  (Read 5406 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Arrow wood?
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:09:50 pm »
Does anybody know how to find Arrowwood? Also called Viburnum. I have looked in my book but it does not have a good description. I have lots of sourwood to use, but I was wondering about arrowwood. Might like to try it . if i an find it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:47:35 pm »
Nugget, I believe arrow wood viburnum is Viburnum dentatum. Some grows around this area but not at my place. I do have V. prunifolium, Blackhaw Viburnum and Maple Leaf Viburnum, V. acerfolium, both of which will make arrows. I'll show you the Black Haw when you come to the camp-o-rama...heck, I'll give you some to try. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:41:38 pm »
Sounds like a plan Pat. I have loads of sourwood.But Bobby and I were wondering about the Arrowwood. I read an article about it in the magazine from a little while back. Good reading.
                                  Thanks again can't wait till end of this month
                                                           T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:53:14 pm »
Arrow wood makes a good shaft, as do most other viburnums. They grow here and there throughout NC, mostly in the mountains and central Piedmont. They're also easy to propagate, transplant and grow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:49:17 pm »
Thanks guys.