Poll

for hunting do you use modern or "primitive" arrows ??

modern arrows with glue-on steel broadheads
11 (30.6%)
modern arrows with stone points
0 (0%)
primitive arrows with steel trade points
15 (41.7%)
primitive arrows with stone points
10 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: modern or primitive arrows  (Read 6522 times)

Offline sonny

modern or primitive arrows
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »
By modern arrows I mean store-bought cedar, spruce, larch, pine, etc shafting with a modern poly (or other) modern finish.

By primitive I mean something you could go in the woods to find or that you've traded for (that someone collected from their local woods) or even store-bought Martha Stewart bamboo..... shoots, bamboo, river cane and the like. I think y'all know what I mean....

BTW, this isn't meant to start that "What is primitive ??" war of words.. I'm just curious as to what y'all use for hunting.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: modern or primitive arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:12:47 am »
For the last 3 years I've used sourwood shoots(and some other shoot wood) with stone points for hunting. Unfortunately I can't report of their effectiveness...although I have no doubts. I have sourwood and cane arrows with trades on them. But, I also have modern arrows with store bought steel points but also trades and stone. Depending which bow I choose to hunt with, I may end up using a modern arrow this year but it will have stone on it...although, I'd like to see what a Wensel Woodsman will do! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:25:46 am »
                                          Only use cane with foreshafts and stone pernts fer huntin deer, hawgs etc. Small game use wood blunts on cane arras...........bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:37:45 am »
I use cain and sour wood with trade and stone head sometimes ,but most of the time I use
Hickory and cedar with glue on 160 Ace 2 bladed head.They all work well but with all the
bow building I do for myself and helping people I just don't take the time for arrows,they
take more time than a bow for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:44:46 am »
Cane, sourwood, and other shoot shafts with stone or the occasional saw-blade trade point. I also sometimes make split/sawed and hand planed shafts from poplar, pine, or ash.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:56 am »
I use cedar and lam. birch with glue-on 2 blade that takes an edge. I now use wild turkey fletching instead of commercial feathers, experimenting with self nocks.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:30:37 am »
I use power tools to cut and taper, and electric heat to straighten, so I guess they aren't that primitive. I have been making my own shafts, or using shoots. I use stone points whenever the law allows.  BTW Thanks Bob and Pat for the shaft material.  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah