Author Topic: First Bow  (Read 5852 times)

Offline medicmikey

First Bow
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:12:28 pm »
Hi everybody

My bowmaking story starts about 10 years ago when i was 13, and I read the first 3 TBB volumes.  This was followed by a few miserable attempts (terrible because, at the time, I didn't possess the patience required).  The itch never really went away, and after a few weeks of lurking around on this forum, I finally just went out and decided to do it.  So after a few days of work, out popped my first bow.  It's a red oak board bow.  68" NTN, 50lbs @ 27" with a 4" handle, 2" fades, 1 1/2" wide and tapering from the midlimbs to 1/2" at the tips with pin knocks.  I originally backed it with hemp twine, but it looked terrible so I tore it off and put down some burlap with TBIII.  I think it turned out pretty nice looking after staining.  The tiller is far from perfect, but I hit my target weight and settled before I ended up butchering the thing.  It took about 1 1/2" of set, but I haven't shot it in yet, gotta make some arrows first.  I have to say you guys are right and this stuff is quite addicting.  I have a second, shorter board roughed out for a lighter version.  And I'm in the process of processing some elk leg sinew to try a short ERC flatbow.  Anyway, here are some pictures of #1

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

Re: First Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »
M2,
       My first should have looked so good :D   Hey, it bends, shoots arrows and at 50# it will for sure make meat, good for you brother.
Rich

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:35:19 pm »
Congratulations looks like you did a real fine job on that one,good luck to you on your future builds,you will need it with a short ERC bow. :)
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:24 pm »
Congrats on your first bow :) Like half-eye said it should make meat :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »
looks pretty good.  my first makes 43@27 and it shoots very well! 

i must ask, how old are you now?  because your story started out just like mine!  though, i started out with jim hamm's book first, the went to the first the tbb books.  i stopped after i turned 16, then got back to it at 27!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
looks good to me, and boy, I bet you can't wait to get that first batch of arrows made.

I want to see some pics of the others as they come along too.

good job!
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54:08 pm »
That's an awesome tiller on that and the burlap looks great! Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »
That's an awesome tiller on that and the burlap looks great! Well done. Jawge

That burlap does look great! I never thought burlap would have looked that good on a back.

Jesus Saves!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:19 pm »
Nice job, the tiller looks pretty darn good to me.  A fine first.  Don't get to attached to that short ERC as you are building it. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Grunt

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:19 pm »
Sure is fun bringing a bow to life. Looks and sounds like you are hooked like the rest of us. Welcome aboard.

vtclimber

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »
Looks like a nice shooting bow to me.....not sure where you are at, but spring turkey opens up here on Sat......gonna be a good weekend!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:37:16 pm »
Welcome to P.A....and like already stated...don't get too attached to the ERC...or any Bow for that matter...cause you are going to break a few getting better....thats a given...so just remember to learn something from every attempt...and ask all the Questions that you can...before you are already too far....only Stupid Questions here...are the Ones that are Not Asked...remember that...and have fun
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 11:41:59 pm »
Very nice looking bow. I'm just learning too, and it looks very good.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 11:47:50 pm »
Looks great, congrats on your first bow!  I too am one who returned to a teenage obsession 10 years later.
Nate Danforth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 03:09:15 am »
Very nice tiller; great first bow!!!
Frank from Germany...