Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 12799 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Ticks
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 07:04:27 pm »
I'll check the local Wally World next time I'm there, if they have it I'll pick ya a can up eh.
So what happens if ya use it like after shave ??? 3 eyes or an extra limb either way sounds like it would be useful  ;) :D :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 07:51:26 pm »
Lombard has it right....just gently pull them out.  All the other "cures" just make them puke their stomach contents into you, which caused the inflammation and infections.....at least that's what I have been taught.

I hate ticks.

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 08:02:49 pm »
Our WalMart has it.   Dana, a friend's Dad is an entomologist and did the studies on Permanone(the active ingredient in it) and said their main problem was getting it weak enough and a safe method of use so it would still kill the ticks, chiggers, etc and not harm humans.
  If you hang your cloths on the cloths line and spray them down well, let them dry for 15 to 20 minutes you can wear them safely. Since I started using Permanone I've never had a tick when I used it. The effects will last on your cloths for quite a few days and even through a light washing. You could treat all your cloths before you come to the Classic and not worry about it while there.

Dane, keep an eye on your tick bites. If they start getting a bulls eye redness about them go to your doctor. The North and North East has a pretty bad Lymes disease problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 08:43:17 pm »
 I can buy all I want at the feed store. We can get in in Gallon containers and mix it ourselves and put it in spray bottles. I found two cans when I was in Texas, but used one up at Pappy's last week.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 09:02:01 pm »
cooking oil or vasiline,cover them well and they should let loose

If ya find a tick on yer best little buddy you gonna put some lotion on it and wait fer it to back out or
you gonna grab it and yank it off ;)

that is why i have a base layer bug suit.its just like under armor.but bugs cant get under it,skeeters have a hell of a time biting thru it too.
but that dont mean i leave my thermacell at home either
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
liquid detergent or other liquid soap on a cottonball. rotate cottonball counterclockwise tick will release. dont ask me why ,it just works.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cracker

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
I know the two I picked up at Pappys last year were some little Bears....one took 5 months to heal and quit itching....the other still hasn't quit yet...whenever I sweat...it gets inflamed and itches like mad.... I am a firm believer in Permarone now......  >:D
Do I need to tell them about the one you were talking to in the tent when the lady walked through our camp.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Yea lets hear it ronnie, after all Inquiring minds want to know eh >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »
About the timethis lady walks by Mikes tent he finds one in a precarious spot and loudly proclaims there you are you little @#$%^&. The ladies face turned red and she said I really didn't wanna walk into that.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »
And thats the One that still bothering Me Ronnie...it got all red and inflamed for weeks...had me thinking I got Lyme Disease from it for a while...and still to this day...if I get sweaty...it swells and starts to itch really bad...those little Tennessee Trouser Ticks....are some ........Bad Mother%^&*#s...Shut Your Mouth............ >:D....And that Woman sure was about freaked too wasn't She....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 12:00:57 am »
We don't see many ticks up here, a good thing.  Still I was looking at a neat little tool for removing ticks at a hardware store just yesterday.  Made of plastic and looks a bit like plastic tweezers.  The instructions said to grab the tick by the head and twist counter clockwise
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 12:06:36 am »
                                I just squatted over a Mirror...and pulled it out with my Finger Nails........... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 12:08:27 am »
                                I just squatted over a Mirror...and pulled it out with my Finger Nails........... ;D

too much info  :o :P
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Diligence

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 01:03:33 am »
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441931921&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302695921&bmUID=1270956117616

here is the pliers that I have seen.....maybe similar to Marc's?

Mods, I figured the link was okay as I am not aware of any sponsors selling this....if I'm wrong, kill this post please.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:38 am »
Dane
Keep an eye on those bites.  I got bitten a couple of years ago and didn't know it.  I ended up with Erlichiosis.  It was the worst sickness that I've ever had.  I can't tell you how bad it makes you feel.   Man do I hate ticks.  My kids are trained for the 2x a day tick check one spring and summer arrives.  Ticks are really bad around here this year.  I'm guessing they are enjoying the warm spring as much as we are. ;D
Traverse City, MI