Author Topic: Drying sinew  (Read 8418 times)

HatchA

Drying sinew
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »
I've carried out a bit of a search for drying out fresh sinew but couldn't see anything specifically related to it so I thought I'd ask in here...

Has anyone posted any "how to" about drying out sinew fesh from the deer/freezer?  Or would some knowledgeable soul like to? :)

I've got some sinew in the freezer and want to know what I'm doing before I thaw it and dry it out.  Do I need to make a drying bow or something similar?  I'm guessing I don't just hang it in the hot press with the sheets and towels ;)  (not if I don't want my wife to try archery out on me!!).  Is it like hides in that it could be salted and hung in a shed to "air dry"?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks,  Steve.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Drying sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:44:21 pm »
Yep...thats all there is to it...cut them out of the Leg from the Wrist to the Hoof...skin them...lay them out on something flat where it is dry...don't need to hot...just dry...and let them dry totally out....when ready to use them...hit them with a round rock....or a Hammer to break the Sinew loose from the Outer Sheath...and you are ready to store it...or process it into finished sinew for your Bow
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »
Thanks guys!!

Jake Levi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:38 am »
I put mine in coffee cans, with a moth ball or two and set it behind a big gas space heater in the bedrm to dry, after a month its ready to work, the cans sit there til I am ready to use them,

I had a can once get hit by a beetle of some kind and every since have put a moth ball or two in the cans, has worked well, no bugs of any kind in them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:27 am »
I just lay mine out flat where it doesn't touch itself and let it dry,I chew my backstrap sinew so I wouldn't want to use moth balls,never really had a problem with bugs. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:28:11 am »
im like Pappy, lay out ot dry
and i too like to chew it

how do you tell the male one from the female ones to get what ya need from them?
and doesnt it hurt them when you cut them off?  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:31:37 am »
I keep my perishable primitive stuff, ie. sinew, feathers, bear grease, snake skins, Urac185, etc, in the "other frig" in the basement.
 I do like Pappy too when drying sinew. It really doesn't take that long...but keep your dog, cat, iguana, python away from it.   :o  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC