Author Topic: osage in kentucky  (Read 1077 times)

Offline luke the drifter

osage in kentucky
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:58 am »
hello everybody,

in all my searches for good straight osage here in kentucky,  i have successfully found two.  one, i did not realize what i had at the time.  you know the old saying- up in smoke.  the other, i did not see the potential and it became a corner post on the man's farm where i found it.   i am thinking that there are better environments for straighter osage.  any thoughts?  i would almost be persuaded to travel and find it.  i carry my own chainsaw.  i will see y'all later.

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: osage in kentucky
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:44:01 am »
Their is good osage in ky can just be hard to find sometimes. It took me several years to finally find alot around here. Then once I found it it's everywhere. What area do you live in?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline yazoo

Re: osage in kentucky
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00:07 am »
straight osage not necessary,,if you set out to find straight osage you will go blind and crazy,,

the only thing that matters is that you have quality wood,, by that i mean the earlywood to late wood ratio is good,,nothing else matters,,you can make it straight,,   but you can not make bad wood good.  I passed up a hundred trees yesterday that were dead straight and would have split out perfectly straight staves but the earlywood latewood ratio was bad making the wood useless,, If you cant tell by looking at the tree , take a small wedge of wood off the tree next to ground level,,you can look at the rings without cutting the tree ,,and remember the rings get smaller and worse as you go up the tree,,so if they are bad and the stump at 6ft they will be real bad,,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far