Author Topic: 120# Elm Warbow  (Read 31398 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: 120# Elm Warbow
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
Nice looking Warbow!  I am with you when it getsdown to making a bow elm is elm to me!  I also wish I could pull 120lbs.  maybe I can I never had a bow other than in the tillering stage Ive had a few over a hundred but couldnt pull it back to 28".  All in all good looking bow ad tiller!

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »
Again Marc, beautiful bow. One thing I wonder about your warbows is that the tiller seems to have most of the bend centered in the middle with the outer limbs seeming to bend little where as I thought that tiller for these types of bows would be the opposite. Is this because you heat a little reflex into the bow?

On the contrary, the middle or "handle" section is spot on and showing little or no movement at brace height, but would [probably be felt to give a little as the draw comes through, which is as it should be.
That the outer limbs are also relatively stiff is true, but then again this (according to Ascham) might be typical of a newly tillered mediaeval bow before it is shot in, "whipped" or brought to the string.

If one were to carp about anything the most obvious would be that the horn nocks are not fitted as well as they should be.
That the bow perhaps tends a little towards being "flat" in section, is of no consequence since this is the better format for this wood.

Rod.

Rod,

The horn nocks aren't fitted as well as they could be  ??? ??? ??? They look spot on to me. What would you do different, Rod?

Offline sonny

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:01:20 am »
Rod,
 ultimately I think that adb was asking to see a set of horn nocks that you have fitted yourself, preferably on an English Longbow that you have made (that's my addition.)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »
Rod,
 ultimately I think that adb was asking to see a set of horn nocks that you have fitted yourself, preferably on an English Longbow that you have made (that's my addition.)

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking.

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:32 pm »
Rod,
For me, it's frustrating to hear armchair opinions from so-called experts who have not done (or contributed examples of) what they are criticizing. I think your comments on Marc's abilities as a bowyer are completely laughable, and a bit arrogant. I commented on what I saw, and I liked what I saw. I have one of Marc's bows. He sent me a floor tillered yew stave, with fitted horn nocks, which look exactly like those on this bow. The yew bow is 90#@32", and I have absolutely no problems bracing the bow using push/pull. Sorry, Rod, I have a difficult time remaining silent about critical "experts" who contribute nothing but hard feelings, and critize something they can't do themselves. Show us some of your work. Show us some of your expertly fitted and appropriate horn nocks. Show us a fine example of a perfectly tillered ELB. I don't believe you've shown us any examples of your work. I'm not being sarcastic, I would genuinely be interested in seeing your work. I think Marc's elm ELB is a fine example, with excellent fitted horn nocks.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
Well I'm certainly no expert but here is what I have got to say...

Marc, I love the bow.  You contributions to the world of bow making make you a master in my humble opinion.  Your work in this style inspires me and I am hoping to build a heavy elm warbow in the hopefully not too distant future.  I have appreciated all your various comments to my posts and consider myself privilaged to have access to the knowledge of a bowyer such as yourself.

Rod, I do not know you but it saddens me a little to see how your comments have progressed in this post.  Going from "Nice tiller" to insulting Marc's skill as a bowyer.  I'd like to think your first response to someone else's post commending the tiller and saying if you could see any issue with it as being the bow to nock transiton as being misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.  Your comments later digressed further from constructive criticism to what I would regard as blatant insult.  Perhaps things moved a bit too much from bow discussion to personal attack. Let's try to keep this a little more civil guys as I enjoy too much the fellowship and comradery of these forums to see them go by the wayside.

ADB, I understand what you are saying but be careful how critical you are of other's criticisms.  If I'm not mistaken it was you who referred to my first post attempting a warbow with hackberry as resembling more a bromstick without giving any comments of encouragement.  I'm new to the realm of bow making and don't claim to be a master of anything.  But your comments to me were no better than Rod's here.

Anyway, that's me two cents...again Marc beautiful bow, I hope one day to be able to come close to your skill.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 03:20:26 pm »
Kip,

I looked back to try and find your post, but could not. Could you direct me? Is it under warbows, or bows? If I offened you, my apologies.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:02 pm »
No worries adb, at first it stung a little but I'm trying to work on not taking criticisms so personally.  If ya feel like taking a look at it
the links on the bottom of this post but don't feel obliged to by any means.  Haha, hopefully I'll be able to post an elm war bow before long that turns out a little less broom handle and a little more medieval weapon  ;)

Kip

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »
Sorry, I don't see your link.  ???

Offline KShip85

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:27 pm »
Lol, sorry about that just realized I forgot to paste it after copying it...got a case of the Mondays I suppose...let's try this again

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17856.msg247714.html#msg247714

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:44 pm »
  Kip, I went and read the post you were talking about. ADB was being blunt but I don't think mean at all. I believe his appraisel was accurate. I would almost bet his post helped you improve on the next bow. Thats what we do here is give honest appraisels and help each other grow. If a design is way off better to be honest with someone I think. You seem to have a  good attitude anyway. Steve

Offline KShip85

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 08:08:13 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Looking back I'm sure he meant no harm by his comment, it can just be hard to tell how someone is coming across when it's just words on a page, one of the downfalls of written communication.  The most innocent remark can come across completely different than the author intended.  It's why I usually try to step back and think before posting sometimes.  All of your alls comments help me from bow to bow.  Haven't had a go at another ELB yet but I'm looking forward to it.  That first bromstick really flings an arra' as you all say  ;)

Kip

skerm

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 03:17:28 am »
I don't understand why a frequent reaction to critical comments is to demand that the one making the comment can do it way better himself. How does Rod's proficiency with horn nocks change anything about e.g. the notch at the base of the horn near the upper groove in the picture? Or do I need to fetch my camera and provide a couple of horn nock pictures before I am allowed to ask?

Daniel

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:31 am »
I don't understand why a frequent reaction to critical comments is to demand that the one making the comment can do it way better himself. How does Rod's proficiency with horn nocks change anything about e.g. the notch at the base of the horn near the upper groove in the picture? Or do I need to fetch my camera and provide a couple of horn nock pictures before I am allowed to ask?

Daniel

Probably because that is not a notch
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline OlaP

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:14 am »
Hi all,

In my ideal world the following conversation would have taken place:

MSL: Hi, here is my new bow! Any comments?
ROD: Nice tiller, but have you ever considered making the top nock more flush with the bow limb? I know that many archers, including myself, have had trouble stringing heavier bows if the top nock isn't flush with the limb.
MSL: Hi Rod, thank you for your comment, but nope. I havn't thought of this before, but I see your point! Good idea! Do you have any examples to show me?
ROD: Yes several, but unfortunately none that I may take any credit for. Here are some pics...

But I do admit that I find the current thread more exciting...

Cheers,
Ola