Author Topic: hickory pyramid question, part II  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Frode

hickory pyramid question, part II
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:01:53 pm »
hi all,
A little while back I posted about a short (for me) hickory pyramid I was (still am) working on.  Well, it's getting down to it now.  I am reshaping the limbs a bit, to make them the same size at the tips, and to narrow the tips down to 1/4".  To do that, I'll have to remove the wedge and hemp cord nocks.  The nocks are now 57 5/8" ntn  :o ??? :-[ >:(, and I'd like to move them out just a bit (3/16" per end), so the recipient can buy a standard sized string as needed in future.  Doing this will leave very little of the tip beyond the nock, and I'm afraid the string could slip off, and we don't want that.  So, here's my question;
Can I use a tip overlay to move the nocks out and add a little more length to the tip?  See the rough schematic below... I know I could just go shorter, but I'd like not to, unless there's no alternative.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: hickory pyramid question, part II
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:49:21 pm »
Frode,
Are you going to file side grooves in as well?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:03:16 am »
Frode,
Are you going to file side grooves in as well?
I wasn't planning on it, just epoxying the tip on, smoothing the tip overlay and wrapping the joint with hemp or serving thread, or silk.  Think it'll work?
Frode

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:42 am »
I've never done a tip overlay quite like that, but between the glueing and wrapping the overlay I would think it should work.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:17 am »
It will work...these are just tied on with artificial sinew

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:36:15 am »
Thanks guys, I'll go a head and try it.  My fear was that I would be moving all that string stress all the way out to the end of the limb, and I haven't tried an overlay yet.
Hopefully I'll have this one done soon, the recipient is anxious, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots, as well.
Thanks,
Frode

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:40 am »
cool, i may try that with my next bow
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:01:11 am »
That should work as long as you don't have the string/overlay out passed the end of the bow
tip,looks like to me it would be easier to teach the person getting the bow how to make a
string.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
That should work as long as you don't have the string/overlay out passed the end of the bow
tip,looks like to me it would be easier to teach the person getting the bow how to make a
string.  :)
   Pappy
Pappy, that's true about the string making, though I have to confess I haven't made my first string yet (for shame!), but it is on my short list.  Just having too much fun with that rasp, I guess.  :D
Frode