Author Topic: Artifact hunting with my boy  (Read 4427 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Artifact hunting with my boy
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:48:04 am »
Mason and I went point hunting this evening. I figured since we had about 18" of rain lately it might be a good time to find something. If nothing else, we'd spend some quality time together.
 We didn't find a lot of whole points, but a good handfull of broken pieces.
 We saw a couple gobblers on the way in, but I couldn't get the camera turned on before they got away.
 It was a nice evening. I look forward to many more like this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

Re: Artifact hunting with my boy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:22:37 am »
oh ya,your a lucky man Shannon
not only do you get to spend quality time with your son,but hes finding some nice stuff too

wish i could spend some Q time with my boys,aint seen either of them since,well since thanksgiving for the oldest,x-mas for the youngest
enjoy it while you can  ;)  it goes by way to fast
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:30:35 am »
AWESOME, thats what its all about. I love it

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:42:13 am »
Sawfiler thats great!  U have a fine looking boy!  I cant wait mfor them to plow the fields up by me I have been waiting to take my kids out and try and find some Iroquios points!
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:57:11 am »
Nice pics Shannon, I can tell that boy was doin alot of jabberin while walkin? Probly needed to wash his hands off too? ;D

Some good finds. ;)

half eye

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:51 am »
Hey Shannon,
          Like the other guys said....enjoy it while it lasts cause thats as good as it gets. Good for you, and Mason ;D  Yer next go-around will have to wait for the grandkids, eh?
Rich

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:32 am »
really cool shannon. looks like a good time and good company.
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline uwe

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »
Thats what I`m still looking for. Which area and to which tribe could they belong to? Is it woodland?
Regards Uwe

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:21:04 pm »
Looks like a great time Shannon!  That's a fine looking boy you have there too.  I'd be tickled to death to find some points like that!
south central VA

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:22 pm »
Ewe, that field has produced pieces from paleo all the way up to late woodland and everything in between.  As far a "tribe" I don't go as far as to try to say any specific point type came from one tribe or another.  I believe most of the ancient points that are found pre-date tribes, but rather fall within certain cultures or time periods.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:57:00 pm »
Awesome time spent with your boy there Shannon.   :) Looks like he had a blast too. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:52 pm »
Good stuff Shannon maybe someday I can get down there and you and Mason can take a Yooper artifact huntin eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nocams

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:35:19 pm »
So Shannon, you son is named Mason too, how bout that ! Great pics and yes, spend all the time you can with them. Next thing you know your Mason will be like my Mason and be 14. He has shown everyone the little black point with the rear notch you showed him how to do. I remember huntin heads in the river bottoms after the farmers plowed.

nocams

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:00 pm »
Dana, you're welcome any time. :)
 Nocams, I remember the first time I saw your Mason. It was at the 2007 Classic and he was shooting tiny little groups from about 25 yards out with a recurve :o  Dang good shot he is. My Mason was born the next week on May 11.  Time sure is flashing by.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:58 pm »
That looks like a good time Shannon! Maybe one day I'll got kickin around out there with ya'll.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.