Author Topic: Something is really bugging me  (Read 19862 times)

Offline bigcountry

Re: Something is really bugging me
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »
I think about this myself.  I bought some canebreak skins off the auction site.  I mean I have never came across one in the wild.  This is probably one of the most beautiful snakes in the wild.  And I contributed to its extinction. 

But then I flip the coin and know my great grandmother lost her ability to speak because of a copperhead.  Another beautiful snake.  And when I think of her and her messed up looking face from a stroke, all I can see if evil in a snake.

I am definately tore.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:03 pm »

I always preached that if you don't eat it...don't kill it.

My sentiments exactly Don.....that's the code I live by myself...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26:28 pm »
Snakes are not evil. Peoples perception of snakes can be evil but the snake is only doing what snakes do.
Sorrt about your Great Grandma. Unfortunately bad things happen to good people.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »
Was moving my buddies RV a couple weeks ago...and when I picked up the leveling blocks....a coontail rattlesnake crawled across my hand...if he had wanted to strike me....I would have been bit....all they want is to be left alone.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 01:25:32 pm »
Wow! I'm glad I haven't been flamed. I didn't know how incendiary this sort of post could have been and the images I saw had me pretty charged up. I think I did a good job of trying to be fairly even handed in my presentation of the information. Marc - no problem moving the thread. I posted on the bow forum originally because over on the other forum that's where the images in question were posted. If you think this area is most appropriate I'll go along with that. I just hope that those who should be getting this message will still get it. It seems like I'm pretty much preaching to the choir here. I'm pleased to see that pretty much all of you appreciate and already realize much of what I've said here. I'm also pleased to see that those of you who are using skins are taking them yourselves. There's nothing wrong with making use of something like roadkill. I forget who else posted it, but the comment about snakes getting scarce in an area they go to. That is exactly what round ups are doing - eliminating the species from entire areas. When I was living in Georgia I performed research for my college thesis on the rattlesnake roundups in Georgia. My research clearly indicated that since snakes were collect for length and weight, the average size of snakes collected started to go down just a few years after the beginning of the roundups. The snake most taken for roundups in Georgia is the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake, the largest most majestic species of rattlesnake, and the largest pit viper in the world. At one time people could still find EDRs over 7 feet in length! Not so anymore. Roundups and habitat destruction have caused it to go locally extinct in Louisiana, parts of Mississippi, and parts of North and South Carolina. And, it's clearly obvious that in Georgia it is becoming scarce because the snake "hunters" (notice I always put that in quotes, because this certainly isn't hunting as I know it). Those hunters report having to go further afield every year to collect the same amount of snakes from the year before. In the case of roundups like the one put on in Sweetwater, Texas, the same thing is happening to the Western Diamondback. I'm surprised to hear that AZ has bag limits. Does it have a season and specific allowable methods of taking the snakes? The problem with roundups is that they're so entrenched in their communities that they've become major sources of revenue. The organizers of those events don't believe they can put on an event without snakes. However, there had been roundups elsewhere around the country that have seen the light and stopped their taking of snakes. Those festivals now either celebrate the snakes and have only educational displays or have switched to celebrating something else entirely. In both cases I know of, those communities still draw thousands of people and bring in millions of dollars for their festivals. It can be done. The people putting these on need to be made to realize the impact of what they're doing so they can change their festival. ls before it's too late. The thing is, it's only a matter of time. These people can start making changes now, or they can wait until the species is imperiled enough to end up on the Endangered Species List and then face federal fines and jail time for molesting the snakes. What gets me is so many people who participate in this are hunters who should really know better.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:14 pm »
 They used to have one of the largest Rattlesnake roundups and Gopher Tortoise races in Florida in a small town near here, San Antonio. Now the turtle races are wooden turtles with wheels and they stopped bringing the rattlesnakes in for competition. Now it is more about educational displays. And I remember growing up and seeing those big 8 footer and larger Eastern's and now you are lucky if you see a six footer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »
Just as an additional information to the topic:
I've always been interested in wildlife, and as a child I watched everything I could about wildlife in foreign parts of the world. I remember seeing several features about the creuelty of these rattlesnake roundups, including the bad environmental impact as well as the useless milking here on German television as far back as 40 years.
Frank from Germany...

Offline mox1968

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »
a good post.we dont have snakes anywhere in ireland probably too wet here lol, but killing for the sake of killing any creature isnt right especially when the animal is part of an eco system that needs it there to keep it in place.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:23:15 pm »
I'm guilty of buying skins by mail order...and I did a little research thanks to this thread.

It seems that opposition to "hunting" during roundups has been around for a while.  I was not aware of the use of gasoline, though.  The gasoline is definitely a bad idea.  I also didn't know that a snakes head lives on for a while after decapitation.

I watched a show some years back of a couple guys catching snakes on the surface using a snake-handler's stick and then putting the snakes in a cloth sack.  They took the snakes to the round up and killed the largest ones and let the others go....after they were weighed and measured.  Seemed OK.

As far as I can tell, here in Texas, the Parks and Wildlife guys are always present and seek to gather data on the snakes...including the effects of the "hunting".  I think the events are intended to be educational as well as profitable.  I'm ignorant, though.  I've never attended a roundup.

Good topic.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

HatchA

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:34 pm »
Wow! I'm glad I haven't been flamed. I didn't know how incendiary this sort of post could have been 

No reason to flame you, from what I can see.  You put forward a very eloquent, knowledgable and heartfelt case to a group of open-minded, caring and sincere people.  It seems more and more as each day goes by, I find myself wishing the human race reverted back to a simpler way of life.  "business" and the use of money is really what's killing this planet.  If more people made an effort to utilise nature for what they NEED instead of raping it for what they WANT and could make money off...  Ah, I feel like I'm preaching to the converted here.  Most (if not all)  of you guys are well ahead of me on this train of thought/way of living.  I am truly envious.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 11:02:42 pm »
It's good to hear there are responsible sportsman and craftsman speaking out,
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »
  Not to flame you but the thread being reffered to at the other sight I feel was not wrong in anyway. Their was a dangerous snake on a path where folks would be crossing all day long, all weekend long actually. The snake was eaten and the skin was used. Good Job! Nothing like the round ups which I am very much against. Steve

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »
Badger,

My objection to the snake killing in that thread was that I couldn't believe that the snake could not have been relocated or otherwise avoided. I've since received a personal message from someone present at that shoot who feels that the snake could easily have been moved out of the way where everyone concerned would've been kept safe and the snake could go on it's way. Mainly, seeing that event got me thinking about snakes in general and that's when I decided to write discussing both that incident and the larger implications of using snake skins on bow backs. There are always two sides to something like this and my post on that other site has been locked because someone involved feels that my post was tantamount to a personal attack and that any further discussion would result in rancor that goes against site policy. Oh well. I feel like over here I've been met with a lot more in the way of intelligent discussion and open minds. And finally, you're right - killing one snake is not to be compared to a roundup, but at the same time I still gotta believe that could've been handled better. Had I been present (unfortunately I'm about 900 miles away), I could have easily relocated the offending snake. I actually work with venomous snakes daily as it's part of my job. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge. I just hope that by posting the thread I've been able to open some eyes to some of the hunting practices concerning snakes and give some people pause to think the next time before they kill a snake.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »

It seems that opposition to "hunting" during roundups has been around for a while.  I was not aware of the use of gasoline, though.  The gasoline is definitely a bad idea.  I also didn't know that a snakes head lives on for a while after decapitation.

-Down in Georgia the DNR and GA EPA made the use of gasoline illegal but one of the main DNR agents assured me hunters who were supposed to be digging up the snakes were in fact still using gasoline because you could smell it on the snakes. Also, for those "hunters" who would take the time to dig the snakes out of burrows, they would need to relocate any Gopher Tortoises they found. In most cases the burrows that were dug up were destroyed meaning all the snakes and other critters using those burrows would need to find other burrows and compete to use them with their current inhabitants. In the Southwest, the chief species in roundups is the Western Diamondback and they tend to den in rock crevices. As far as I know, the guys collecting snakes for the Sweetwater roundup are still using gasoline.

I watched a show some years back of a couple guys catching snakes on the surface using a snake-handler's stick and then putting the snakes in a cloth sack.  They took the snakes to the round up and killed the largest ones and let the others go....after they were weighed and measured.  Seemed OK.

-DNR guys that I've talked to have said most snakes that are released from these roundups are not taken back to where they were caught. In most cases they're released in the area most convenient to the person releasing them. This results in competition between the released snakes and those already present in the area where the interlopers have been released. Snakes are solitary and territorial. Releasing them outside of their range where they were caught just causes numerous unforseen impacts on the ecology of the area.

As far as I can tell, here in Texas, the Parks and Wildlife guys are always present and seek to gather data on the snakes...including the effects of the "hunting".  I think the events are intended to be educational as well as profitable.  I'm ignorant, though.  I've never attended a roundup.

-In a lot of places where roundups occur, DNR officials are present to collect data on the snakes being brought in so they can determine whether roundups are sustainable in the long term. So far the data is not looking good. This can easily be a land-based repeat of the crash of the cod fisheries on the Grand Banks. The cod fisheries on the Grand Banks will easily need nearly something like 50 to 75 years minimum to recover from years of overfishing.

Good topic.

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 11:58:44 pm »
  Kilt, I share a lot of your sentiments. No hard feeling toward you at all. Part of the bow building culture does involve skinning animals for parts of our bows or quivers or strings. I have been furious when I have seen golfer or king snakes slaughterd for no reason believe me. Myself personally I usually move rattlessnakes out of the way unless they have a particularly nice skin that i want. In that case I take it. A red tail hawk might very well come down and get that snake anyway. So no hard feeling toward you in anyway, just trying to see the other guy represented as well. Steve