Author Topic: Something is really bugging me  (Read 19929 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Something is really bugging me
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »
Pappy....that's funny about Hannah......not that She got tagged....but that it left such an impression....that She still remembers the Snake that bit Her.....I too hope She learned a life lesson..... but if She is anything like my Black and Tans were....She will go back for more.... >:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »
Ya I think she will also,she is just so sure she can take him the next time. :) ;D ;D   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »
And She might....but them Hounds of mine would come Home time after time with Porkie Quipped so thick that they could not close their mouths....you'd pull them out....and for a week their Head looked like a Basketball.....so swelled up......but as soon as they healed....they'd go find another....go figure....  :-*
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 02:14:33 am »
NTN, We have a game warden that posts answers to questions in the paper, and acording to him and his experts, the take on rattlers is 1 per season.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 02:39:55 am »
NTN, just double checked, bag limit on rattle snakes is 2 per speices, thats 4 per year. check out californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/page3/?archives-list=1. it's calif Q&A

Offline NTD

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 02:54:38 am »
Yep, I have problems with the Bio guys with a badge giving misinformation all the time here in AZ too.  I think they forget to read their own regs.  They often make it up as they go along. 

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_60.html 
These are the 2010 regulations
Nate Danforth

Offline bubby

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:28 am »
actually, what that says is you don't need a fishing license to take rattlesnake, but just be a licensed hunter.

Offline NTD

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 11:18:42 am »
Okay while I guess the most important part of this thread is bringing awareness to the problems with indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes I really have to make a final point on the CA regs.

So Bubby, this is for you.  In California, all regs concerning reptiles are covered under the sport fishing regs.  In fact in no other section of the Title 14 code is the word Rattlesnake even mentioned EXCEPT to address a regional area called Rattlesnake Creek.  Here again, I am citing my source and you can run a search yourself but there is nothing under HUNTING regs about rattlesnakes.  A couple years ago there was a 2 a day bag limit along with the other species of snake but that was changed.  The website you sourced is a Q and A not the Regs.  And the mention of the bag limit on the webpage did not cite a code but instead cited a game warden.

Here ya go
http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?action=Search&cfid=1&db=CA%2DADC&eq=search&fmqv=s&fn=%5Ftop&method=TNC&origin=Search&query=RATTLESNAKE&rlt=CLID%5FQRYRLT9058636119135&rltdb=CLID%5FDB496135119135&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault%2Ewl&rs=GVT1%2E0&service=Search&sp=CCR%2D1000&srch=TRUE&sskey=CLID%5FSSSA5697735119135&tempinfo=word&vr=2%2E0

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:59:12 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:06 am »
A rattlesnake bit this cranky old neighbor of mine. Poor snake died from it.
Living a dream...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
Great thread,and good comments.I live in Texas where we have no shortage of snakes,both venomous and non-venomous,and have enjoyed having them around all my life.I taught my children well to identify the species in our area,but ,did,"take care of",the poisonous varieties that got near the house.I like the look of a rattler snakeskin on a bow,and get mine from a friend who is a pumper on a very large west Texas oilfield.He kills the snakes that get into his "buisness",and it usually nets me a half dozen or so a year,and I see nothing wrong with it.I very much like having the Texas ratsnakes,coachwhips,speckled kingsnakes,and many other 'neighbors",on my place,and can't remember the last poisonous snake I've personally killed,maybe 15 years ago or more.JMHO. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 02:30:40 am »
Just a quick note about translocation - ie. moving a problem snake. NTD had made some good points about the problems of translocating snakes so I decided to look into a little more. Since then, and conferring with a colleague at work I've had the chance to look over a few assorted journal articles regarding translocation of reptiles and amphibians. I'll spare you all the science-speak and get right to the point. This is in regards to a potential instance where you may have an event or something where a rattlesnake or other venomous snake happens to be in close proximity to the people at the event - ie. on a trail or near some area where the event will be occurring. From what I've read, simply moving the snake a couple dozen feet or so away from the problem area should cause no problem. In many instances I've encountered basking venomous snakes in areas where people would be walking along a heavily traveled path, in one such instance this occurred with a juvenile Copperhead I came across in a park near Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. In that instance and other similar ones, simply gently prodding the snake with the end of a long stick was enough to incite it to leave the trail and move into the underbrush, thus getting it out of harms way. I will never advocate someone try to pick up a venomous snake with something like the end of a bow or an arrow hook. If you do not know what you're doing - ie. you are not a trained professional, and I kid you not - I personally AM a trained professional and I happen to work with venomous snakes on a daily basis - DO NOT mess with it. Leave it alone. On second glance, it might even be a bad idea to suggest the prodding trick, but as long as the stick, bow, whatever is long enough, which ideally would be double the estimated total length of the snake, you should be able to coax it to leave in a safe manner. Also, beware that sometimes a snake may perceive that its only means of escape to a safe area such as a burrow may lay directly in your direction. A snake "coming for you" is almost never going to be intent on attacking you but is instead attempting to get past you and perceives that to be the safest way rather than moving in some other direction. Snakes are not belligerent animals. They will not wantonly and aggressively bite you unless molested. While I'm at it - a couple other things. Snakes often occur around yards or houses because the habitat is favorable either in terms of good basking spots or an abundance of prey. Look around your house and if you don't want snakes - venomous or harmless, be sure you're doing nothing to attract them. Wood piles, refuse such as old pieces of wood, carpets, or tin will all attract snakes. Also, keep debris like this away from your house. The closer things like wood piles are to your house the more likely you'll have "unwanted" invaders. Finally, I think this is probably the single best item of advice I can probably offer. If you hunt or walk around in areas where there is a lot of dense brush or areas that are prime habitat for venomous snakes, simply invest in a pair of bite-proof gaiters. There are a bunch of different varieties and while some can be expensive, it's good insurance against getting bitten. Most bites will be on extremities such as around ankles or fingers/hands/lower arm-forearm. The hand/arm injuries are almost always the result of either attempting to handle the snake or sticking your hand into something sight-unseen like an empty flower pot or some other dark, snake-friendly container or area. Also remember bites can often be dry bites, which mean little to no venom was injected. Also, a part of every outdoorsman's kit should be a Sawyer Extractor. They're not only one of the best field based methods of mitigating a venomous snake bite, they also work great on things like bee/wasp stings. Lastly, some links:

Sawyer Extractor:
http://www. sawyerproducts.com/B6B.htm

Snake chaps:
http://www. forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=903

These are my personal favorites:
http://www. forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3588#

Of course always wear snake gaiters/chaps with heavy duty leather boots. Leave the flimsy nylon Timberland and Hi-tec "hiking" boots at home. Get some real, stout, leather, hiking boots that go above the ankle for added protection.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:06:22 am by Pappy »

Offline Postman

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 10:56:55 am »
Great advice on our venomous freinds,  kilted celt.  What kind of snakes do you work with? Good to see a few fellow herpers on here.  In my case, the previous homeowner had used several tons of railroad ties for retaining walls, and back-fillled them with rocks,  including ones on either side of the south-facing brick wall. Perfect hibernaculum / nursery after 35 years of decay. Healthy populations of 5 lined skinks and fence lizards were present also, presumably providing a nice first meal for the baby copperheads. As a herper, it absolutely killed me (mentally and physically ;D) to destroy these.

Had  been a younger man,  single,and able to afford going on after my bachelors in Bio,  it would have made for one heck of a thesis or two  - I believe from my experiences that some males were guarding pregnant females(2 cases), and pregnant females were pairing up for mutual protection in (2 cases). In total, 37 copperheads were observed over a 10 year period, with 25 or so within 10 feet of the house itself.  interestingly, no newborns were found yet, but full-term gravid females were found 5 times.  The smallest snake was a 12 inch juvenile, and all others were 20-34 inches.

My former professor Dr. David long, a herpetologist from Shippensburg University said this population density was remarkable for a semi-developed area, and said the construction of the house was probably on or near  a large historical den site. This makes me think and hope they are slightly adaptable in hibernaculum choice. hopefully someone can relocate an entire population of coppers or timbers, and prove it can be done.

Kinda suprised on the endorsement of the suction kit though-have they done clinical trials on it? might have to get me one of those....

watch your fingers!  ;)
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:12 pm »
John,

The Sawyer extractor fits into that category "it can't hurt". Older style snakebite kits with the small scalpel and suction bulb are horrendous and much more likely to cause severe injury. However, the Extractor is non-invasive using only pure suction to draw venom out. I've never tried it on a venomous snake bite but I've seen it bubble out some venom from a bee or wasp sting. I carry it on that basis alone. Besides, you can play around with it and give yourself or someone else some pretty hickies.  ;) That den/hibernaculum sounds amazing. I know a hibernaculum relocation was tried recently with Fox Snakes in the Chicago area. So far I don't believe it has worked that well, at least to the point that densities of snakes using the new hibernaculum were nowhere near the number using the previous site. The only venomous I work with right now are Aruba Island Rattlesnakes, Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnakes, and Mexican Beaded Lizards. I also work with an assortment of other boas, pythons, lizards, amphibians, etc.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 10:31:55 pm »
 I have the Sawyer snake bite and insect kit. I've never had to use them but came highly recommended by a friend that dealt in poisonnous snakes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?