Author Topic: my first arrows. tonken cane from mullet  (Read 2511 times)

Offline recurve shooter

my first arrows. tonken cane from mullet
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »
a while back Mr. Eddie gave me a bundle of tonken. i finished my first set of useable arrows about a month ago. here they are. tonken cane, self nocks, black sewing thread wraped, nail head blunts. simple and they work.  ;D

i busted the nock on this one at my kieth's (island piper's) house, and when he found it i told him to just throw it away, but he drilled it out and put a dowel in it and made a new nock. THANKS!

this one was fletched compleatly by hand, feathers split and trimed with a pocket knife. its my roughest looking but best flying one.

i shot this one with another one on accident, just dropped super glue in that crack and it shoots fine. killed a possum with it. :D

and these are my nail head blunts.

lets just shoot it

half eye

Re: my first arrows. tonken cane from mullet
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:04:52 pm »
Recurve, If yer whackin one arrow with another arrow, they are definately shootin good, proof is in how they fly  and that my friend is a good arrow, period.
Rich

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:40:29 pm »
thanks half eye. i woul like to take credit for that but it was just a chance shot. they fly very well for me, and im thrilled with them.
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 01:57:49 pm »
i noticed the cane arrows in the pictures of your bow in your other thread, and was gonna post something about them there.  but they look good!  cane/bamboo is great to work with. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:53:58 pm »
i agree aero. its way easyer than wood. by the way i still plan to send you some river cane, but the stuff is kinda expensive to ship so i gotta wait till i get a job over rthe summer.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:45:31 pm »
 Trey, those are some Butt Ugly arrows ;D, I like them ;). They look like the ones I make. If they fly good, that's what counts. I'm glad you got some use out of the Tonkin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:49:17 pm »

Trey, don't let " Mr. Eddie", Sheesh, stop calling him that, makes him sound like a hair dresser.......  :-* ;D ;D. Anyway, don't let Eddie, besmirch those arrows.  If like you say they fly where you want them to, then by all means make more like them.  I like the nail idea.  8) 8) That's a sharp idea.  On your wrappings, next time, as you get ready to wrap past the fletching, make a loop, and lay it on the wraps you already have, and lay the loop just a little past where you think the wraps will end,then start wrapping over the the loop, and when you get to the end of the string, also know as the " tag " end, just stick it through the end of the loop, and then pull the other end of the loop, and it will pull the tag end in under the wrapping, and you will have clean end without any knots.  You can wait till you have about 1/2 inch or so, and then put the loop down, and wrap.  A little super glue on the end wraps, and it is good for a long time.  If you go to wally world, or a craft shop, cloth world, etc. look for upholstery thread.  It is the same diameter as regular thread, but it is rayon, or nylon.  It would be something to put in your back pack also, along with some carpet needles, or a leather stitcher from harbor freight.  Otherwise, those are great. ;) 8)  Just because " Mither " Eddie, gave you the tonkin, doesn't mean he can say mean things about the finished product!  In fact I think just to prove to him how well they shoot, the next time you see him, you can shoot the beer can out of his hand......or white wine.......or white Zifendale...... ::) ::)
But enjoy those arrows, and make a bunch more, and some for the kid you are making the bow for. 

Wayne

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:43:16 am »
i just seal my wrappings with glue.  im trying different glues though.  first i wrap them all down.  then i glue down the end piece with a bit of super glue.  then, after ive finished a few arrows, i seal the wrappings.  ive been using clear nail polish.  but, i moved to duco to seal the wrappings and to glue down the ends of the feathers.  course i use fletch tape to begin with.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.