Author Topic: Hide glue, easy method  (Read 2834 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Hide glue, easy method
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
I just purchased a slow cooker that as luck would have it maintains a pot of water at 140-150 degrees, the perfect temp.for making  hide glue. I also discovered that if you soak the rawhide over night then put it in a food liquidiser it chops it into tiny bits in seconds, after 12 hrs, it has all but dissolved into glue. virtually no effort.  I tested the glue as per b.b.4. glue test procedure I glued small blocks of wood together to measure the force it took to break the joint, Every time the wood fibres broke apart and the glue didnt get chance to fail. I also found out that rawhide dog chews are cheap, easy to get and make as good glue as raw deer skin, because in my tests I compared the  2 glues. The wood broke before the glue with both glues, so it is hard to say which is the strongest  Maybe I could do it again with harder wood?, but both make good glue . The cooker cost £12/$25 and the chews £4/$8 for a 2lb bag and you get a lot of glue. So cheap and easy I wanted to tell the bowyers world. It even smells quite good too!! Heres a few pics of the set up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mrkinsey

Re: Hide glue, easy method
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »
Cool!  Though knox gelatin is still less expensive.  >:D 
There is always Hope.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »
Yeah...but I don't care who says it...I still am a Firm Believer that True Hide Glue is stronger and better than Knox...Knox is not true Hide Glue...Knox Gelatin is a colorless unflavored solidifying protein extracted from collagen contained Bovine .... Porcine ... and Poultry Bones ...Joints ...and Skins...not just Hide
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:02:46 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Shadow Walker

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:17 pm »
true hide glue is more authentic too! It's my first choice for all my bow needs!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:35 pm »
thanks for the tip. I will have to try this one.
Better than using up my sinew to make glue.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:32:35 pm »
N2...save all of your Sinew Scraps though...and throw them into the Pot also...they add a bunch of Collagen to the Mix
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »
 I'm going to try and save up fish bladders and see how that works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:05 am »
supposed to be the Strongest Glue that you can use...will even pull a Sliver out of a Sheet of Glass when it sets ans starts to Shrink up...Heard that once you try it....you won't use another granule of Hide Glue again....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:21 am »
I got some fish bladders to test, ordered them on the web from a chinese supermarket, but the bladders are from Vietnam, big bladders, must be big fish. I tested them out against the hide glue, but the wood goes first. It didnt appear to be stronger, but maybe the bladders where'nt the best. As for gelatin,it is made from bones as well as skin, and bones dont have as much collagen so it cant be as strong. I've bin doin my research ;D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......