Author Topic: Making a tillering gizmo  (Read 14316 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Making a tillering gizmo
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:24 am »
        I started using a gizmo a couple of years ago. Great tool. I make mine 4" long. I might try 6" and see if I like it better. I like a bit more of an elyptical tiller instead of circular so I have to play with it a bit. I start off getting it bending equal then use it to increase the bending radius mid limb by comparing the two limb marks. I was trying to figure out a way I could modify it to change the width of the mark as the depth changed but didn't come up with anything uncomplicated. It would be possible to make an air brush type set up where the pencil was replaced with a needle in the tip of an air brush that changed the spray pattern as the needle changed depths. But a little too complicated. 

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 11:59:04 am »
Wouldn't build a bow without it. Dean

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:12 pm »
A tillering Gizmo only tells you where the working portion of the limb is not bending enough. In non-working areas it is not necessary. Every wood bowyer should have a tillering gizmo in his tool kit.

Great thread with invaluabe advice..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.