Author Topic: first knife - scandinavian style  (Read 2575 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

first knife - scandinavian style
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »
Here's my first atttempt at knife making.  It's  a scandinavian style knife made with a basic carbon steel blade, curly birch, reindeer antler, brass bolster and some leather spacers.  The stitching on the sheath is my first attempt and toooo horrid to show but I'm fairly pleased with the way the leather has shaped round the handle. 

The knife is to replace the cheap and nasty one I use for field archery

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline woodstick

Re: first knife - scandinavian style
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:17:09 pm »
i think it looks real nice.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »
Good job!  That's the same kind of mora that is my daily carry when I'm out in the bush and I make my sheath loops/danglers just the same way......there are some excellent sheath tutorials on britishblades.com if you want to have a look.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »
Thinkin the same thing...looks like my favorite knife - Frost's Mora carving knife.  Probably my most frequently used tool, all in all.
1’—>1’

Offline Story Teller

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:23 am »
Backgardenbowyer,

Very nice!  The Scandinavian pukul knife type is my very favorite style.  They are very practical and beautiful in their simplicity.  I like the bulge in your handle on the palm side.  I'll bet it fits your hand well under pressure and doesn't slip.  I'm working on one myself that I hope to have finished by hunting season.  I think I'll keep this picture of yours handy with a few others to add to my inspiration while I work.  Does your sheath ride high enough on the handle to cover above the center-of-gravity for the knife, or does it flop a little?  I have made my sheaths cover more of the handle to prevent the flop, but I find it is more difficult to get the knife out with one hand when I cover too much.  How does yours work for that part?
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:53:39 pm »
The blade is a simple Lauri in carbon steel (quite a cheap brand) not a Mora, which I think are triple laminated.  If you want to see some good examples of scandi knives take a look at the scandi section on British Blades Forum.  The shape of the handle which is a bit thicker and with more bulge on the palm side than most is partly due to the fact that it is my first effort and partly because being my first attempt I made a mess of drilling the tang holes (with a hand drill) on the first attempt, so I plugged it with some hickory heartwood and started again at the other end.  There was a danger in getting down to the plug if I had gone much thinner with the handle shape - but is does fill the hand nicely and as this is for the heavy work of digging arrrows out of the woodwork that's a good thing.

Sheath comes about 2/3 way up the handle.  I've only worn it once and I didn't even notice it was there, but it need two hands to draw it.

I've just received a dagger blade through the post and will start on a traditional archers bollock dagger shortly/