Author Topic: A New Type of Primitive  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
Re: A New Type of Primitive
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »
I haven't dumpster dived yet for the offings of butchering a deer.  But I have scoped out the two best places to do it.  There is a processor over NW of Denver who does a ton of wild game processing and I have been thinking I needed to try and arrange with him for some deer and possibly antelope hides.

Island piper and Hillbilly61, your comments about other peoples trees and the perfect tree made me laugh.  There is a couple stands of scrub oak or post oak that I pass by every morning while taking my boy to preschool.  There are a couple trees in there that are near perfect, no limbs so hopefully no knots, in the middle so probably not wind twisted and with an ever so gently arched curve that I can't help but feel the staves would come ready reflexed.  I have actually thought about taking pictures and posting them here but then thought maybe I was just looney.

But JWHalverson, your comment brought the biggest smile to my face.  The reason is kind of long but I'll write it out anyway.  I read Saxton Pope's book "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow) last fall.  I was both envious of his first hand contact with Ishi and saddened by the way and how Ishi came into his life.  I guess that was how it was supposed to read, or at least I hope so.  Anyway, prior to that I did not know Ishi from Itchy and Scratchy.  But, I had been introduced to him without my knowledge.

I am one of those weird dudes who reads many of the post apocalyptic novels.  I like the stories of how humanity may or may not persevere after an extinction event.  Now I never actually think I am going to be able to relate to the survivors.  I can't win a cake walk or a bingo game so the idea that I will be lucky enough to survive when 99 percent of the population dies off is virtually nil...unless you are like me and think that the lucky ones are the ones who die early.

Regardless.  One of the best books from this genre that I have read was actually written in 1949 by George Stewart.  It is called "Earth Abides".  Without talking too much about the book other than to note that since it was written before the Nuclear Fear, the author had to use a different method of extinction.  Now, the main character is a man named Isherwood Williams.  And one of the last things he does is give to his little community the knowledge of how to build a primitive bow and arrow.  And all through the book, everyone refers to this character by his nickname "Ish"

It wasn't until after reading Saxton Pope's book that I was able to know or see the parallels The author was drawing.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope this was appropriate campfire fare and not too far afield.

Mike

Parker, Colorado

Offline Mudd

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »
It sounds like I could have been me looking in a mirror but maybe 25 -35 years ago..lol

I'm rooting for you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »
And the sad thing, for those of you who have not read the aforementioned book by Dr. Saxton Pope, or may have forgotten the details...Ishi was not the man's name.  Ishi was his tribe's name for "a man".  You see, there were no adult men left from his tribe when he reached his majority and never received a name.  "What's in a name" you quote from the Englishman, Shakes-his-spear.  To the Yani people, the bestowing of a name on a young boy becoming a man is the bestowing of his SOUL.  Ishi died believing he never became a man, never had a soul, never really was.   That is a kind of horrible fate I could not imagine.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

DCM4

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 10:34:46 am »
Congrats Tractor, you've become what being a human was meant to be.  Now if we could just reach all the other lost spirits.

Lombard

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
Yep, y'all hooked him good. Welcome to what, I have come to call the sweet addiction. I was recently skinning a fox, when the neighbors daughter walked over to visit with my Grandson. She went running off screaming, neighbor comes over to see what that was all about. Turns out she thought I was skinning out my new Yellow Lab puppy, that she has come to adore. It is amazing how the addiction effects everyone around me, even unintentionally.