Author Topic: cutting rawhide strips  (Read 2928 times)

Offline sonny

cutting rawhide strips
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »
 A buddy gave me a small deer rawhide that needed rehydrating in order to stretch it out such that it would lay flat.
It seems a little too short (neck to tail) to cover the limb length I need so I considered cutting diagonally. That shouldn't be a problem should it ??
I mean it's a bit thicker along the back but can't figure why that would cause any concern.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cutting rawhide strips
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:23 am »
Animal hides have stretch. Across the hide from side to side stretches the most. Lengthwise, from head to tail, stretches the least. The best orientation for bow backing is from head to tail. You only have to cover the working portion of the limb anyway. If it is still too short you can splice it mid limb and secure the splice with a wrap. A similar splice and wrap on the other limb will even out the decorative effect.
  I usually don't add rawhide or snake skin backings all the way to the tip. I leave the last 6" or so bare and wrap where the backing ends.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: cutting rawhide strips
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:18 am »
I alway put mine on in 2 pieces anyway,they just meet in the middle. No problem.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good