Author Topic: point question  (Read 2092 times)

Offline aero86

point question
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:23 pm »
ive made 24 poplar arrows but didnt know what points i wanted.  i decided on broadheads.  the arrows are 5/16.  now ive found some that would work, but only a dozen.  they are slip on type.  ive found 12 5/16 points and 12 11/32.  now my question, is it a bad idea to use 11/32 on 5/16 shafts?  even if they are glue on?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: point question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »
If the taper is correct, they will work fine.  They will acually get better penetration because the cut with the ferrall is larger than the shaft, thus causing less drag as the arrow penetrates.  If you shoot that arrow in foam, the shoulder will cause BIG problems when you try to pull the arrow out.  Bill 

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:03:49 am »
i need 24 and they look like good points so i might get the 5/16's and 11/32's.  if i need to target shoot with one of them, ill use the ones i put the 5/16's on.  i'll just mark the nocks..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:06:49 pm »
I would get one of the cheap styrofoam targets from Wally World.  I like to shoot all my BH's to make sure they fly correctly.  If they are glued up correctly, you should be able to pull them out.  It tears up the target quickly, though.  You can shoot them into a sand bank, you will have to resharpen them when you are through.  Make sure there aren't any rocks in the sand.  Bill

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:16:53 pm »
I would definatley shoot more than one or two.  Like Bill said u need to make sure they fly nice and straight .  I found out the hard way when I shot a few that flew nice but later on I decided to try one I didnt and it curved pretty good...OUCH..well I learned..

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

half eye

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:26:38 pm »
aero,
      The larger heads will fit well and because the ferrel is slightly larger than the shaft you can wrap the shaft behind the head (about 1/2")with thread/sinew/or whatever.....then soak the warps with a hardner like superglue or I use clear fingernail polish (lacquer) and the heads will come out slick.......I've done this quite a bit (use what ya got type of thing) and did not have any problems. The thread will not add enough weight to make any difference.
Rich