Author Topic: My Turkey Bow (Part 2)  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: My Turkey Bow (Part 2)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:10 am »
Wow, I can't believe you got that much draw out of that design. Very impressive!
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 12:54:27 pm »
Congrats on making such a short bow.  Got to be a challenge :P In Montana, the Sioux would hunt bison with a short bow like that.  got it set up for May Self Bow of the Month, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:09:29 pm »
Love small Bows!!Very neat.Hopefully you'll have better luck Turkey hunting than I did.

Offline tarsus

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:54 am »
Very nice short bow Titan.  I have shot several turkeys with my store bought recurves, and only have recovered four.  Once I started using some sort of "adder point" (kind of like a judo point behind a large broadhead) my success rate went WAY UP ;D  Figure that the design stops such an easy pass through of the arrow, and adds a bunch of "THUMP".  Its like hitting them with a train, instead of just an arrow.  Hopefully I will be able to complete a huntable bow for the upcoming fall deer and turkey season. Congrats again, and good luck ;)  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 07:57:09 am »
Very nice Titan,great job on a short bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 10:14:51 am »
Very nice bow. Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 01:47:42 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  My turkey hunt was very successful, even though I didnt bring home a bird.  In the course of a 5 day hunt,  I saw literally hundreds of turkeys.  The place we were hunting was in southwestern Nebraska, and was a combination of riverbottom and prairie.
  The evening we got there, we sat up on a bluff above the riverbottom to roost some birds, and it didnt take long before they were gobbling all up and down the bottom.  we honed in on a spot that appeared to be the toughest spot on the bottom to get to, LOL.  That first moring, I got set up before daylight, and after all the gobbling and yelping stopped,  here comes a line of 5 big gobblers, with a handful of hens.  They came by me at about 35 yards,  and didnt seem to pay any attention to my calls or decoys.  The gobblers would shock gobble to my calls, but would not come in or change there direction of travel.   We spent the days spot and stalking on the prairie, and I had multiple close calls, but just couldnt get an arrow off.
  Each morning I moved closer to the roost tree the 5 gobblers seemed to be using, and on the final morning, we snuck in at 4:30 in ninja-stealth mode to the blind that was set only 50-75 yards from the roost tree, the day before.  I had spent some time the previous day walking around the roost tree looking back up at it to find an obvious flightpath the turkeys might take.  My blind was 20 yards from where I thought they would fly down.
  That morning, as the it got light, we could see 2 gobblers and 5 or 6 hens in the roost right above us.  The big gobbler was at full strut while in the tree.  Finally, they start to fly down, and lo and behold, the two gobblers land right in front of me at 20yards.  they are right in the spot that we predicted they would land.
  I took the shot and the arrow zipped through the bird just above the leg body junction.   the tom hobbled a few steps and collapsed face first.  I thought I had hit him too low, and already had an arrow nocked.  He got back up, hopping as he tried to get out of there.  I shot a second time, and the arrow appeared to hit him center mass, with a loud thump.  However, the tom didnt seem to react to the second hit very much.  He hobbled over to the hill that went up out of the river bottom and out to the prairie.  He stopped on the hill as he couldnt make it any further.   I sat back in my chair thinking, "theres no way he's going anywhere, I got two arrows through him".   We waited there for about 40 minutes, and the bird appeared to be dead.  As we started talking, moving and making noise,  there were still some hens nearby, and they spooked.  AS they ran up the hill, I watched in amazement as my "thought to be dead" gobbler made a mad dash hobble the rest of the way uphill.  I got out of the blind as fast as I could and ran up the hill where the tom was last seen.  There were no birds in sight.  We searched for 3 hours looking under every cedar and deadfall we could see, but nothing.  I think theres a good possibility the bird got airborne.  After some final analysis, I discovered the second arrow did not actually hit the birds body, but passed harmlessy through his feathers.  The first hit must have entered through the lower pelvis region, but only disabled one leg.  Man, those are tough animals!!
  Anyways, I learned more about turkey hunting in 5 days, than you could learn reading every book and article in publication.  I also got a nice mulberry log from the same riverbottom that we were hunting in.  I plan on returning next year with a bow made from this log. 

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Beleg813

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »
That's a great story Titan_bow. I figure it'll be poetic justice should you find the same turkey with a wounded leg and bring home with the bow made from the wood from your first trip. :)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 12:09:16 am »
In addition to the great looking bow, I enjoyed your story. I was rooting for you through the whole story. sorry ya didn't find him.
VB

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:24 am »
Yep, me too. Thought you had that bird dead to rights ;), too bad he got away. They are tough - (this ain't primitive) but a buddy of mine shot one with a .223 one time - shattered left leg, and left wing, and made jellow out of left breast. I had to chase him down to ring his neck - he was moving along at a pretty good clip.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.