Author Topic: nettle Fibre Strings  (Read 20827 times)

Offline Phil Rees

nettle Fibre Strings
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »
I've set aside about an acre of land to let the abundant nettles grow. I'll harvest them in mid September and drop them into a retting pond for six months or so and tease out the fibres once the outer has rotted off. I have a friend who hand spins wool and she's  kindlly agreed to spin the fibres into yarn.
It all sound very simple.
Has anyone ever tried making cordage from nettle fibres? ... if so what advice would you give.

Offline aero86

Re: nettle Fibre Strings
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:40 am »
wow, thats gonna be a lot of nettle...  ive never done it, but there some growing behind my house now im thinking of harvesting soon
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
I've set aside about an acre of land to let the abundant nettles grow. I'll harvest them in mid September and drop them into a retting pond for six months or so and tease out the fibres once the outer has rotted off. I have a friend who hand spins wool and she's  kindlly agreed to spin the fibres into yarn.
It all sound very simple.
Has anyone ever tried making cordage from nettle fibres? ... if so what advice would you give.

Sounds an interesting project Horace; I wonder if nettle fibre compares well to linen? One thing is certain, it's a crop that won't require much maintenance! ;) Would be nice to obtain full-length hemp fibres wouldn't it?

Regards, Dave

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »
  I am no expert on nettle but six months sounds like an awful long time. Have you studied up on nettle specificaly. I have made one string from nettle and it is as good if not stronger than linen. I soaked mine for about 7 days if I remember correctly and they seem to strip down pretty nicely. I had someone else actually spin the fibers for me. Steve

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »
if you get an acre worth of nettle, and get it spun, youd have lots and lots of cordage.  ill take a bit! >:D
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:58 pm »
There are several people on other forumns that can and have made bowstrings from nettle.  James Parker come to mind.  Send him a PM, he is probably one of the most knowledgeable.  Bill

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:27 am »
On another site, I asked about nettle bow string and had a nice chat with a lady who is the yarn/twine/string/cordage maker for a group of Scottish Heritage people at a heritage site village (i.e. she does it for a living).

She has said that only about 1-2% of the mass of nettle will actually be suitable for spinning into good thread, which can then be plyed up to make bow string.

She advocates stripping off the leaves and small branches, setting aside until the leaves start to wilt, splitting the stalks into four by flattening twice lengthwise, then retting in damp grass for a day or two.  (keep in mind this is in England, where it is often wet).  Point is, she said that the plant material can rot very quickly destroying the fibers.  She said sometimes only a day or two is needed to ret the plant material away from the fibers.

Then, after retting, she takes bundles of stalks and works them in her hands under running water to "wash" away all the material that isn't good fiber.  There is a "skin" that is attached to the fibers that will flake off when the cordage is dry, thus loosening the weave.  You need to get rid of all those little bits before making the string for a good strong string.  Then after that, she spins her threads, then adds them together to get a much stronger cord.

Hope this helps.

Edit - I found an excerpt from one of her posts regarding spinning nettle:
"Spin it damp like flax but don't leave it damp, it grows moldy very quickly. If you've kept the fibres in bundles or broken it out like flax it ought to be already lined up for spinning. If not, you can draw out lengths from the smashed stems to make a strick. Short lengths card well. The thing is that flax will give you about 12% fibre from dry weight of material but nettle will only give 1 or 2%. So you need a *lot*. Thereafter it's much the same. Cut, stack, dry out a bit, bundle and soak until it starts to decay then dry and beat or break out the fibres. (easier if you wrap them in a clean cloth).  If you're in a hurry, cut the stems, strip the leaves and then pour boiling water over the stems. Walk up and down over them or beat them with rounded stick to seperate the skins from the woody core. Peel off the lengths and again soak to encourage retting, sometimes even a day can be enough....be careful watch out for a powdery mildew forming on the damp stems.
At this point it gets fiddly because you have no core to act as a stiffened length to break out the fibres. However, if you keep the lengths in bundles you can twist them in water until the detritus comes away and the fibres come out clean. Nettle fibres may break at the leaf nodes, unlike flax which carries it's leaves v.high and on unbranched stems, it's a knack to remove the leaves without compromising the 'skin' of the nettle. However even short fibre is still good stuff.   Vigorous combing to remove debris only suceeds in breaking up the fibres too. Better to hold the retted bundle under running water and gently work your fingers through the lengths allowing the water to 'comb' the fibres free. This avoids snarls and gives excellent fine fibres in good workable lengths.
"

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »
Bill, Diligence , many many thanks for your imput. Your comments and advice are most welcome and I'll take them all on board and use them. I now know the retting time I was considering is way too long and I'll bring that down to around seven to ten days.....
So thanks guys for all your comments and advice ... it's really, really appreciated.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:35 pm »
Id like to see ur nettle patch if u can put up a pic?
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »
Horace, this sounds like a great project. Have you considered learning to spin yourself? I may be wrong, but I don't think the mechanical spinning wheel existed in the medieval period, but the hand spindle did, and dates back thousands of years. I spend the weekend taking my first steps in learning to spin flax fibers using a hand spindle. Lots of fun, if frustrating, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »
Id like to see ur nettle patch if u can put up a pic?

Sure can..... if someone will tell me how to transfer a picture from my laptop to this thread?  HELP

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:08 am »
when you reply to the thread, look on the bottom left side..."additional options" - click that.  See where it says, "attach"?  Click the "browse" button.  search for and find the photo on you computer, and click okay.  That's it.  Now keep in mind that your photo must be 200 kb or smaller.  hope that helps.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 01:40:38 pm »
Yes like diligencw said!  I think I have a nettle patch by my house and would be interesting in trying it as well.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:57:51 pm »
Let's see if this works...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »
Here's another seeing as the last picture worked

[attachment deleted by admin]