Author Topic: Finish on cane arrows?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline JEB

Finish on cane arrows?
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:05:54 am »
Anyone sand a cane arrow and if so what finish did you put back on the arrow?  Also what glue was used to fletch the arrow?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Finish on cane arrows?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:13:54 am »
I sand all of mine at the nodes and then just lightly on the rest of the shaft. I seal mine with pine reisn sealer. I disslolve pine resin in denatured alcohol and then strain it through a t shirt to get the chunks out. Pat B taught me that trick. It works real good I fletch mine with DUCO cement.
If I am just making arrows to goof around with I do not seal them.
Good luck and do not be afraid to try out new things.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:27:42 am »
For fletching, I use Fletch-tite.  I will have to try the pine resin dissolved in denatured alcohol- thanks for the tip!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:48:42 am »
i use a massey finish on a lot of my cane arrows.  dissolve mixed two ton epoxy in denatured alcohol and paint on the sanded shaft.  this finish is as hard as glass and slicker than two eels getting it on in a bucket of snot.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »
I sand down the nodes and lightly sand the rest. The Massey finish Chris uses works really good. A lot of mine I just seal with a few thin coats of Tru-oil. I usually fletch most of my arrows with superglue or fletch tape.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:49:40 pm »
cane has a natural finish on it ..no need to finish cane..the rine is slick and shed water naturally......gut

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:55:21 pm »
What kind of two ton epoxy?  Bill

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:44 pm »
I sand my cane arrows and use a dye of some sort for color, then coat with tru-oil. I use ducco for my fletching and have great success with them holding.  Makes a very nice looking arrow too......Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work