Author Topic: Dupioni Silk  (Read 1382 times)

PeteDavis

Dupioni Silk
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:10:48 am »
  I have found some silk remnants on Ebay, dupioni silk, different colors, 12" x 76". Looks like enough to do several bows.

Is this the right silk for bows? I understand it is quite strong.

PD

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUPIONI-silk-BEAUTIFUL-TAUPE-BROWN-Large-remnant-piece-/200478027188?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fabric&hash=item2ead6bedb4

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: Dupioni Silk
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
Because of the way dupioni silk is made it has almost no stretchability, so it might not be the best choice for a bow back.  Might be worth the $6 experiment though -- glue some on a thin piece of scrap wood and bend until it breaks...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

What kind of weave am I looking for?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »
One thing that you need to make sure of Pete with Silk..or any cloth Backing for that Matter...is when it is cut into Strips...is the orientation of the long strands...if Silk is cut one direction...it will be strong in it's length...if it is cut another...it will just pull apart in it's Length giving you absolutely no support at all...it's all in the Weave and the direction that the pieces were cut...on a Dress ir a Scarf....it would not matter...because it's being hemmed on the Edges....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

Therefore I oughtta get two yards and cut it lenthgways into strips, correct?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:33:48 pm »
                       thats what I would do...and the bigger the Thread Count...the better the Fabric
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome