Author Topic: Speaking of artificial...  (Read 3332 times)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Speaking of artificial...
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:49 pm »
.. I mean NeoPrimitive...  ::)     The posting on artificial snakeskin got me to thinking about other artificial things.

We talk about and use "artificial sinew" for wrappings of various kinds on bows and arrows.    Has anyone ever used it to back a bow in the same way the real sinew is used - combed out lengths set in a glue matrix?   :o  Would it work?  Sure would beat the heck out of pounding and soaking and generally messing about with dead animal parts...  What about other fiberous materials like jute? 
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Speaking of artificial...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »
Artificial sinew is waxed so it would be difficult to make glue stick well to it. Also it is very stretchy and would not have the same effect as the real stuff.
  Raw flax fibers will make a backing. A few bows were built at the 2009 TN. Classic using raw flax.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:45:51 pm »
Burlap, silk and linen will make backings. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
Ken,
      I made a backed Modoc bow that used hemp twine set in TB II and it worked very well, I haven't had any trouble with artificaial sinew either ( it's the same thing as dental floss (that comes unwaxed) but for the AS I just clean the wax off with acetone and you can glue the stuff out of it. Upholsterers twine would also work.
Rich

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »
Thanks guys.   Another tidbit of knowledge to tuck into my kit.  The re4ason i asked is that several folks asked why I hadn't sinewed that Asian Composite bow I just finished.  I'm just not in a place and time where I can muck about with real animal bits (it's a long story...).  But I wondered if we had discovered other things that would have the same effect as sinew backing - increase the draw weight.

I knew silk, burlap, etc. doesn't do that.

I knew if it could be done the wax on artificial sinew would have to come off.  Might be kinda fun to go into a mega-pharmacy and buy lots of dental floss - "Can I help you sir?"  "Yes please.  I need 50 packets of dental floss to make my bow nice and stiff."

Hemp twine might be a more cost effective alternative.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »
As I underrstand it.....Art.Sinew has no shrinkage, being nylon, it may stretch, but will not impart any real additional strength to the back of a bow. Real sinew shrinks as it cures, that's why the reflex increases as it dries. It's shrinking, pulling the limbs into additional reflex, increasing the poundage.

A.S. won't do that. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:28:54 pm »
As Easternarcher said, the artificial sinew (nylon string) would probably offer some protection for the back of the bow and help prevent breakage, but you wouldn't get the rest of the benefits of the real sinew. As halfeye said, any kind of string will do the same thing.The magic of sinew lies in the fact not only that it is very strong and elastic, but also in the fact that it shrinks as it dries. Real sinew can't be duplicated by anything else that I know of.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:25:28 am »
   I agree with Hillbilly, no substitute for real sinew. Anything else might just "look" like it. Silk and flax will both make decent backings but will not behave like sinew at all. Steve

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 04:35:18 am »
Okay.  That's what I was thinking, but wanted confirmation -  Other fibrous materials, unless they shrink when drying, will not increase the strength of a bow, they simply prevent splinter rise like any other soft backing.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,