Author Topic: My Fourth bow(success in failure)  (Read 3401 times)

Offline hedgeapple

My Fourth bow(success in failure)
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:27 am »
I wanted a lighter weight bow to stay in shape and work on my form.  Something in the 40 to 45# range.  And, I want to try a cut in arrow shelf bow because I was thinking of making a bow for a friend. A couple months ago I ventured through the lumber section of a national store, not really looking for bow wood just looking.  I found this perfect grain red oak board for like $6.79.

The tiller could be a bit better.  I learned a bunch from this attempt. I still need to finish the tips and handle.  It 64" nts. 43# at 26 1/2 draw length. It has 1 13/16 set on the upper limb and 1 5/8 on the lower.  All in all I'm happy with her. She shoot quiet, no hand shock and true.

I'll post more pics when I finish her out.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:41:53 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: My Fourth bow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 03:15:37 am »
Really nice bow! Way to go!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:21:45 am »
Nice job.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:48:01 am »
Thanks Pighunter and Pappy.
I really driess up for the photo, also.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:01:47 am »
The tiller looks great to me, you've done a really nice job on that bow. I got to see it in its roughed out fashion a few days ago. This makes me miss my board bow endeavors early on, it was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Yes, you really know how to dress up for a photo, I'd throw that crooked pair a scissors away.  ::)
Central Kentucky

half eye

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:16:32 am »
Nice bow, maybe some more pics when ya get the handle done. It's obvious your are well on your way to getting that tillering thing down pat.
Rich

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:55 am »
Thanks Greg and Rich for you kind words. 

I will post more pics as soon as I complete the finish work on it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:17:43 am »

I'd throw that crooked pair a scissors away.  ::)

Hey, wait a minute.   He's been scraping bows with that scissors!!   :)

Yes, looks pretty good but the upper limb has a sort of soft spot.   I'd probably lighten up the hard spots and just have a lighter bow that would survive longer.  Lots of good bows on the lumber rack at Lowes, just looking for homes. 

piper

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:00 am »
Very nice work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
There is nothing more satisfying than a 6$ bow!... that you can make meat with....
Nice job.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline tdog

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »
"The tiller could be a bit better." 

I don't know how, tiller looks great to me. Nice when you can to to the hardware store and find a bow ;D
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »
Great bow and nice tiller man!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 02:38:53 am »
islandpiper, yes was scraping that bow with siccors.  And the red oak was tough on them.  They'd have to be run through the sharpener about every 20 strokes.

tdog and N2, it is kind of nice to stop by lowes for some sandpaper and TBIII and come home with a bow to boot. Now if they only carried hickory boards.

Thanks Josh and Jawge
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline karrow

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »
great bow i love the handle good choice on the draw weight

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:40:48 am »
I see post on here all the time of bows being started, then I never see the finished bow.  Maybe they just got put back on the rack, maybe I missed the finished post or maybe they just didn't make to bow statist and the builder didn't post anything about them any more.  Well I find I learn more from my failures than I do my successes.  Maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes, also.  So here you go.  :)

Islandpiper was correct, there were some stiff spots in the limbs.  And the bow was bending too much right out of the fades.  I knew this.  In what little past I've had with shootable bows, getting them bending out of the fade was an issue.  But, these were with staves not boards.  So, I work on getting the limbs bending at the fades, but unfortunately I could not catch up the rest of the limbs before I would fall under my target weight, It seems.  On the tiller at 20" pulling 40# I thought I could correct the problems in the next 6 inches.  Lesson learned, board give up quicker than staves.  Even with the tillering problems that I saw, I opted to stay at 43# instead of dropping to maybe 30# to correct the issues.  I thought the bow might have a short life span, but I just wanted a target bow to work on my form and keep my muscles somewhat toned while I worked on another bow for deer season or if all else failed, I would fall back on my 58# hickory bow.  So if I had a bow that tax my strength a bit and still shot where I aimed and last 3 months, I'd be happy.  This bow accomplished the first 2 of the 3 goals.

Shooting it to today in the sunlight I noticed crystals on both limbs at the fades and a splinter raising from the edge of the back of the top limb.

I was sad that this bow wasn't going to give me what I asked for.  But after an hour or so of pondering the situation I realize it gave more than I asked.  More knowledge, more patience, and hopefully a little more skill for the next one.  Sure I don't have a lighter weight target bow I can shoot tomorrow, but I bet I will have in the next few weeks.  :)

So join me in saluting a successful, unsuccessful bow build.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:50:04 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw