Author Topic: Sudbury Indian Hickory Bow  (Read 7046 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Sudbury Indian Hickory Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:45 am »
Thanks for all the comments guys! As far as a braced and full draw pic goes they will be forthcoming. I made the bow for my nephew as a congratulatory gift for having achieved his black belt, so the bow is currently in transit to Houston. I'll ask him to take/submit the pics when it arrives.

Osage outlaw: erm...yes...the chair...and my stocking feet...yeah, sorry about that. Gotta figure out how you guys take such nice pics without the chair.

"Remember, REAL men blame their equipment."

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:36 pm »
Like Hillbilly said, sometimes bows have their own ideas what they want to be and turn out different, often better than what you planned them to be, it looks good to me too
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »
" Gotta figure out how you guys take such nice pics without the chair."

they dangle from a rope  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:12 am »
Or crop your toes out of the pic. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 11:02:42 am »
Lean forward, move your feet back and snap. . I don't want hear it. I have size 14's. LOL. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:56 am »
I don't want hear it. I have size 14's. LOL. :) Jawge

You know what they say about Men  with size 14 Feet ....don't You?

They buy really Big Socks....... ;D

And You All thought I was going to be Nasty...... :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:21:37 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wodpow

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
I had a limb tip that would twist when the bow was drawn and got worse the more you shot the bow.Bad thing about it it was the way the wood fibers were in line and I almost removed to much belly wood then someone told me to remove wood from the side of the limb to weaken the stronger side so it would pull that way  and straighten the movement into a straight pull it worked. It was a floor tillered Bamboo backed Osage with some really screwed up grain patterns.To this day I hate that bow.wouldn't give it away because it looks out of whack and only draws 35# after adjusting the tiller guess I could cut it down but I hate it to much to try. Myself I wouldn't of shipped something like that floor tillered bow to a customer.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »
Almostpighunter, I understand that you were removing wood from the edge of the limbs and not the actual side. I read your post again. Twists are fixed by removing belly wood from the appropriate places. If we are talking a twist where one side of the limb on the belly is lower than the other, you can remove wood from the strong side, the lower side, and that will fix the twist. However, that will work just fine with a man made twist because of uneven wood removal, from the belly.  Staves that are naturally twisted are best left naturally twisted for the most part unless you use heat. wodopw, please explain some more to me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:37 pm »
Nice!
Frank from Germany...

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:28 am »
great bow!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 03:42:15 am »
@wodpow Yes, your description (including the friend who said to remove wood from the edge on the stronger side, etc) sounds exactly like the way it went down in my case too. Maybe we have the same friend :P. Anyway in my case, I can't say the grain was bad...it looked close to perfect and I have a feeling that, somewhere along the line, the twist developed as a result of the bowyer. Fortunately, the bow turned into a fine shooter even though it lost the majority of the curves.

Twist has always dumbfounded me, so thank you to everyone who posted the helpful tips!