Author Topic: Darkening Osage Recommendations  (Read 5191 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Darkening Osage Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:47:33 pm »
Cover up the dark limb and lay it in a tanning bed for a while ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:28:41 am »
Oven cleaner will darken it also, spray on leave it a minute and wipe off.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:49 am »
Oven cleaner will darken it also, spray on leave it a minute and wipe off.

Yep...thats the Lye in the Cleaner that does it...just like the Red devil Drain Cleaner does....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 03:53:31 am »
Man, that bow is nice! I was wondering if you got the pieces for the take down from a piping/hardware store or if they were from the "pre-packaged set" that I have seen for sale online? If it was the pre-packaged set, then how easy/difficult was it to work with? I have heard/read mixed reviews on it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 06:40:36 am »
I had the same thing on a takedown,I stained the light one,I did it with several coats ,I also stained the darker one with the same stain ,just real light,it turned out pretty good,I could tell but nobody else that didn't no couldn't. Nice looking bow. :) 
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 08:31:44 am »
Almostpighunter this was an on line sleeve set. The main thing you want to do is make sure you have your billets squared up as much as you can on the ends where the sleeves will go. When you get the sleeve's the brass sleeve will be very tight. I used flat files and emery cloth on the brass fitting. You will be able to see where you need to file or sand on the brass fitting as it will leave a mark where it is still to tight. Dean

Offline wodpow

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »
Osage will darken fast  in sunlight. I was chasing down a ring and had to leave and left the stave clamped in the vise after three hours in the noon sun it was already turning. Where the stave was clamped in was still yellow as well as the side turned from the suns rays. A dye might make a change you can't get evened out without even more dye. I have bows that I had to retiller drop the weight and had scraping mark of yellow on a brown aged surface that evened up after a couple years .