Author Topic: Red Cedar  (Read 13255 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Red Cedar
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:18:38 pm »
I've got two splits from a small diameter Cedar tree and I was wondering, could anyone tell me how well Cedar sapwood bends? I'm thinking about making a longbow from one of them, but I would also like to know how well Cedar would work for this type of bow, help?
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Red Cedar
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:01 pm »
Eastern red cedar is a type of juniper, it is a halfway decent bow wood.  Sometimes it can be pretty light, but people have made backed bows and selfbows out of good specimens.  The problem I tend it have, is finding a stave that isn't full of knots.  I did get a short log cut for lumber for spliced backed bows, haven't broken into that stock yet though.  Let us know how you do.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:09:32 am »
All right, I think I'll make the bow about 66" long bending in the handle, for a 27-28" draw. btw, how much weight would I be able to get from it? I'm hoping for about 55-60lb. It'll be my war bow! ;) (because I usually shoot 40-45lb.)
      Sean
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:44:51 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:37:33 am »
Hi,  The only bow wood Ive got easy access to is the red cedar growing on my family's ranch in Nebraska.   I do not remove any sap wood.  Luckily I can usually find some straight knot free staves.  I think the wood seasons eaily and is a joy to work with.  The bark peels easily and the wood splits straight!  Once seasoned the wood smells like a cedar chest (of course ) and works well with hand tools.  I don't claim to be a great bowyer, but most of my cedar bows have turned out well. Just make the bow wider than you would with yew or osage.  A light backing of sinew seems to work well too, to maintain reflex or recurves and add peace of mind.   Ron

A man should make his own arrows.  Omaha Proverb
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:53:09 pm »
66" should be long enough to get your target weight, if the stave is reasonably knot-free.  If you can leave a thin layer of sapwood over heartwood, it oughta make for a nice selfbow, kinda like yew. 

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:51 pm »
This is a small diameter tree, so will a backward all sapwood bow work? Just wondering. If not, I'll just back it with something, I don't have access to much sinew.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

MattE

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:03 am »
Sean,All the bows I have made from ERC were all heart wood.I also backed these bows. One of the best of the lot was backed with a dog chew bone.Your local pet store will have these just remember, you will have to thin it, if it is lke the ones I have used.!