Author Topic: Native Bow from Red Alder  (Read 6159 times)

bowkee

Native Bow from Red Alder
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:46:29 pm »
I read somewhere that the Natives used Alder For Bows so I thought I would Try it. I have a couple staves that are short so guess is keep them what 2" widest and sinew back them? Phillip
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:45:42 pm by bowkee »

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Native Bow from Ader
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »
Alder I never used if Im no mistaken is that is a flowering shrub related to the birch family.  It rarely gets to extensive sizes or heights.  Im a firm believer that a lot of paleo groups used various species including shrubs and bushes.  I think that plants like that have intermingled grain making for great compression but who knows I have made bows from huckleberry bush, Mt. Laurel, and sumac.  Would u know they work.  Take care.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:16:15 am »
phillip i think,if my memory serves me right yet, Dana made a bow from alder
but i dont believed it lived a long life
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:20:28 am »
 Alder is not a top choice. It's about like using aspen for a bow. Youkut's used it for arrows but never heard of a bow from it

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38:36 am »
I recently cut what i thought was an cog wood but it turned out to be grey alder. Very light and spongy i didnt even bother turning it into a bow :(

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:34 pm »
Dana built his Bow from Tag Alder...a Swamp Alder that grows all over the U.P.....And He beat the Crap out of that Bow...and if memory serves Me... it developed some problems...sorry...that was Sumac...His Alder Bow died before it got to Live..... :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:28:21 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:44 pm »
Almost got it tillered :)  It is soft but not as soft as the Maple I used for The splice Bow back a few. This will be about 48" 2" at the wide hoping for 30-40 @ 20-22

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:50:00 pm by bowkee »

Offline profsaffel

Re: Native Bow from Red Alder
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »
As nice as your bow is looking, admittedly its the shaving horse that I keep staring at  :P
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

bowkee

Re: Native Bow from Red Alder
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:06 pm »
The Shaving  horse is great, the Alder  ::) forget the alder, got 10@40 and creekcrack haha. Glad  I got the Juniper.

[attachment deleted by admin]