Author Topic: centershot?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline chuckp

centershot?
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »
I just finished my forth hickory selfbow. I love it, a pyramid hickory 60#@28". It came out better than my wildest expectations. Shooting the bow is a dream except that my arrows are grouping about 10" to the right. I'm a southpaw. Bare shafted arrows are closer to center. I'm using a leather floppy rest.
Are my arrows overspined? I'm using 2216's. Thats what I use for my 45, 50 and 55# Martin Hatfield. Also a 50# bear black bear warf.
The grip on my selfbow is about 1 1/4" wide. It is off centershot but not by much.
I aim point on, so if I use Kentucky windage, I can make the adjustment. Also I shoot with my bow verticle, if I cant, the arrow comes around closer to center.
Any ideas?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: centershot?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:28:53 pm »
I always cant my bow to around 45 degrees to the left.  I am left handed too.  Fixed all my arrows from going to the right and it makes stiffer spined arrows more forgiving.  Cheers from another lefty!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline chuckp

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »
I'll bet it's gonna be near impossible to get a broadhead to fly right.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »
Sounds like you need to file the arrow pass in a bit, the handle is too wide at the arrow pass. That your fletched arrows are flying even further off means you're also getting fletch interfearence, which might be helped by turning the nock in the shaft a bit.

Before I put finish on my bows I shoot my arrows through the bow, adjusting the arrow pass with a file until bare shafts fly straight :)

Offline chuckp

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »
The handle is quite thin as is. I'd be leary of filing it down. Could the arrow be too stiff?

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:45:44 pm »
2216s are way too stiff for that bow.
they MIGHT shoot ok if you use a little heavier point in 'em but I'd suggest going a couple of steps lighter or better yet
start shooting wood !

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:10:38 am »
At a 30 1/2" draw the 2216 bare shafts  perfect for my recurves.  This selfbow got me going though. It's not far off centershot, but enough to cause  problem. If I was a pure instinctive shooter I'm sure I'd make the adjustment automatically, but I aim. I'm gonna try to figure out if my problem is caused more to fletching interference than with arrow spine.
I'm using the floppy leather rest and really like shooting with off it. I hope I don't have to do any drastic alterations, I have a hemp handle grip with two coats of spar varnish that I'd rather not mess with.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:23:34 am »
Could you try using a thinner piece of leather at the strike plate?  (I'm not sure how thick your floppy rest is).  I made a floppy rest too (but too thick) and ended up making it a bit thinner on the strike plate side and it helped with arrow flight.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:38:01 pm »
At a 30 1/2" draw the 2216 bare shafts  perfect for my recurves.  This selfbow got me going though. It's not far off centershot, but enough to cause  problem. If I was a pure instinctive shooter I'm sure I'd make the adjustment automatically, but I aim. I'm gonna try to figure out if my problem is caused more to fletching interference than with arrow spine.
I'm using the floppy leather rest and really like shooting with off it. I hope I don't have to do any drastic alterations, I have a hemp handle grip with two coats of spar varnish that I'd rather not mess with.

when using a properly spined arrow, (upon release) the tail end of the arrow is far enough away from the bow that the fletching will not touch the bow.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »
Check the overall straightness of your bow. ART

Offline chuckp

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »
I have to say as I'm shooting the bow more and concentrating on my form the groups are centering much better. Acceptable now. With a slight cant I'm actually right on. I only shot centershot recurves before, this long bow, flatbow, selfbow is new to me.
It doesn't seem as forgiving as my recurves.